CCC Computer Command Control explained.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks for sharing. People don’t like it, but you have to give them credit for trying to modify something that they knew worked well rather than reinventing the wheel unnecessarily like they do now. TBI was not a wheel reinvention, and it’s more user friendly, but I depend on this system daily, and it’s never let me down so only positive thoughts here. @CorvairGeek likes it, too, but he’s been running it for 35 years so he might be getting tired.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What people don't get, is these computer systems weren't really wanted by the auto manufactures. It's the government standards and requirements for emissions and fleet average mpg that forced the invention of the CCC. In fact the C4 too. C4 was even before CCC. C4 was Computer Controlled Catalytic Converter. This is why AIR came about, aka Smog Pump when it actually Injects Air into the engine instead of pumps it out. The mpg and emissions requirements is why our vehicles in the late 70's and into the 80's were de nutted. Compression dropped, power droppped, speed limits dropped, gears became taller like into 3.08's 2.73 and 2.56's in pick ups. Also what forced the Overdrive transmissions.

Of course now, technology has finally caught up, so we get our horsepower back along with mpg and cleaner emissions. Hp finally started coming back in the right direction with Vortec in 96.

If people took the time to learn these systems, they're not bad other than there is more parts to go wrong and more parts to diagnose.

The LE9 305 with ESC was most common in these years because that was GM's answer to the fleet average mpg and emissions requirements.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for sharing. People don’t like it, but you have to give them credit for trying to modify something that they knew worked well rather than reinventing the wheel unnecessarily like they do now. TBI was not a wheel reinvention, and it’s more user friendly, but I depend on this system daily, and it’s never let me down so only positive thoughts here. @CorvairGeek likes it, too, but he’s been running it for 35 years so he might be getting tired.
TBI while not extremely powerful, it a very reliable system. My dad has a 94 1 ton Cab and Chassis. Probably close to 300,000 miles on it. Other than a starter a couple alternators, a clutch and several batteries, sprak plugs changed twice as well the cap and rotor, plug wires once, that's it. Fuel filter just becuase and now that I think about it, it seems a fuel pump too. The TBI unit itself has not been touched and I've told him DON'T TOUCH IT. Many times there's nothing wring with the TBI, but people fugg with it, and there you go, Now it has problems when it wasn't the problem to begin with.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
They have been amazingly durable, with a great commonality of components across makes, models and years (though I understand the 1980 Cali system is an odd duck). User accessible diagnostics with a paper clip. Compare that to some of the absolute crap from other manufactures of the era.
So sad GM is gone (IMHO). I don't need a 'family truckster SUV' or a rebadged Opel / DaeWoo passenger car. And what bureaucrat thought the Cadillac flagship sedan (CT6) should come with a 4 or 6 cylinder?

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
They have been amazingly durable, with a great commonality of components across makes, models and years (though I understand the 1980 Cali system is an odd duck). User accessible diagnostics with a paper clip. Compare that to some of the absolute crap from other manufactures of the era.
So sad GM is gone (IMHO). I don't need a 'family truckster SUV' or a rebadged Opel / DaeWoo passenger car. And what bureaucrat thought the Cadillac flagship sedan (CT6) should come with a 4 or 6 cylinder?

They’re gone. Been gone. I think the state of GM right now, and the others too, shows that the golden age of the automobile is over, and the car as an idea is in its declining years even if that decline still takes decades to realize. That being said, I’m pretty confident that heritage vehicles will survive practically indefinitely. Even if people have to burn alcohols and CNG made from trash, they’ll be the ones to hang around.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And now they even sold out to Ford. I mean it's mostly GM, but Fords may as well have GM transmissions in them now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28