Cassette Tuner Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Anyone have any recommendations for a shaft style cassette deck they had back in the day that they really liked? Like most of the other electrical parts in my truck, the radio is toast from being damp so long. Since my dash is un-molested I think I’m gonna keep it that way, for now, and go with a shaft style deck. And since I hate the look of the new retrosound units and I don’t need all the Bluetooth stuff as of yet, I’d like to just stick with a good cassette deck. I enjoy listening to my old tapes often too so a deck that was known for having a good strong tuner is equally as important to me as a good sounding tape deck. Let me know what you guys think!
Thanks
Hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I too would like a cassette deck 2 post.But around here they are apparently extinct.Except for those overpriced china retro units that are costly.I just use my phone music app and hooked to external speaker.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, since you asked I had very good luck with Sony. I'm sure the models I bought are no longer available, (1982). I bought two, one for my '82 and one for my wife's car.

The unit was to long for her car so I am using that one in my garage, still. Finally put a CD player in the truck.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had an Alpine in my 72 K5, with Jenson tri-axle speakers...Hell yeah !! Didn't need a power booster.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I had several Pioneer stereos that I really liked. Since nothing is being made new today, your going to have to roll the dice and hope you find something used that works and you like.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I have an Alpine in my truck that I really like. It sounds great to be as old as it is, and I only gave $5 for it and a small equalizer at a swap meet. So that would be my recommendation. It has a digital display, and 6 presets as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
+1 on all the above.

scour the swap meets and flea markets.
stick with sony, alpine, pioneer etc.
stay away from the kracos etc.

the lower tier stuff will certainly work but as stated above, the amplifier stages are where the difference is quickly noted.

not just the 'loudness' but the quality of output.

also as stated above, you may have to go through 2 or 3 to get one that still works properly.

good luck!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sony, Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwoods. Can find a good one on feebay for $50-75 - there's even a couple NIB ones for <$200. Unbelievable how much heavier they are than the new junk, and other than a new belt, they seem to last forever.

Best one I ever had was a Blaupunkt from about 1993. Had CD changer controls in it (which I think so does some of the Kenwoods).

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I had a Kenwood that I sold. BIG mistake.
You must be registered for see images attach

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm planning on having a stock one rebuilt, places like https://www.joesclassiccarradio.com/

Can rebuild your stock unit to have all the fancy things and not look stupid like the retrosound ones.
I would like to do that but I’m not sure my radio is stock. It’s a digital cassette radio but it doesn’t have any brand name on the front of it. I will get a picture later on.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Its nuts the big companies dont jump on the retro-train and make something like this. In Japan they still make minidisc players (one of my favorite formats) - these wouldn't even have to have a cassette in it.

Friend of mine is a tech for IBM - adds an aux jack to about everything. Might see if he could do that - or better yet a USB port - to one of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK