Carpet vs vinyl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My truck is a custom deluxe, so zero options. It currently has just a vinyl mat under your feet, bare metal under the seat and up the back of the cab, and a vinyl seat. The floor mat is pretty ratty, and my seat is starting to show some wear. What’s the benefit of carpet instead of vinyl? I found a kit for about $125, thinking about going that route. I think it would make the cab quieter and more comfortable, especially since I don’t have AC.

I’m also thinking about having the seat recovered with cloth. Not going to lie, summer in the south and a vinyl seat are a tough combination. Always sticking to the seat. But I’d like some input from the fine folks here.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I've always been a rubber/vinyl floor guy. Much easier to clean, does not lay wet and holds up better. Carpet is for cars.
Me too.

I always ordered my squares with vinyl flooring so I could keep them clean.

I also ripped the carpet out of my GMT800 and put vinyl flooring in that one too.

K

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
My truck is a custom deluxe, so zero options. It currently has just a vinyl mat under your feet, bare metal under the seat and up the back of the cab, and a vinyl seat. The floor mat is pretty ratty, and my seat is starting to show some wear. What’s the benefit of carpet instead of vinyl? I found a kit for about $125, thinking about going that route. I think it would make the cab quieter and more comfortable, especially since I don’t have AC.

I’m also thinking about having the seat recovered with cloth. Not going to lie, summer in the south and a vinyl seat are a tough combination. Always sticking to the seat. But I’d like some input from the fine folks here.
Try wearing pants so you don't stick!!!!!.....lol

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
When I did the interior on mine, I couldn’t find a vinyl mat that was brown to match my original. I went with carpet instead to keep the brown color scheme. I like original look, so I went with restaurant grade vinyl to recover the seat to an original look. I even kept the original seat buttons and dyed them to match the new seat vinyl. Whatever you do, you have an opportunity to change things up to make it yours with a personal touch, plus the expense to change it really doesn’t cost that much.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't like carpet I believe the carpet gets wet and keeps the floor wet and rusts out the floor.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
When I did the interior on mine, I couldn’t find a vinyl mat that was brown to match my original. I went with carpet instead to keep the brown color scheme. I like original look, so I went with restaurant grade vinyl to recover the seat to an original look. I even kept the original seat buttons and dyed them to match the new seat vinyl. Whatever you do, you have an opportunity to change things up to make it yours with a personal touch, plus the expense to change it really doesn’t cost that much.

That looks great! In my younger, muddier days, I was all about vinyl in my trucks. I must be mellowed in my old age, because now I lean towards comfort and quiet. I think I’m going to give it a shot. My vinyl mat is shot anyway. I may keep the seat vinyl for now, but I’ll be checking for oval folks that can recover it for me.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Coin toss here. Daily driver work truck, keep the rubber floor, IF you are the kind of person who tries to keep stuff clean and nice looking. (If you're a pig pen, do a rubber floor too, it won't smell or look as bad, lol)
I was on the fence with the truck I'm re-doing now. Truck had carpet originally, I prefer vinyl floors in trucks mostly because, well, they're trucks. But since I'm literally spending as much on the interior as I am on paint and body supplies and it won't be a DD/work truck, went with carpet.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@45tt, LOVE THAT seat!
(compared to the buckets in the other thread)

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size

Looks great!

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
@45tt, LOVE THAT seat!
(compared to the buckets in the other thread)

Thank you for the comment. There’s a story behind those buckets in the other thread. I was young and thought they were cool. Won’t do that again. I just don’t want to hi-jack the OP’s thread.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I did this very thing to mine.I undercoated and insulated the floors also.Much better now

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I can say from experience that vinyl is a real pain to work with cold.If you don’t have a heated shop,you’ll have to put a heater (little buddy)inside the truck (I did),or wait until summer if you choose vinyl.Carpet hides dust better.Vinyl cleans easier.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
My truck WAS a Custom Deluxe as well.It originally had a rubber floor mat.The vinyl made a night and day difference.It’s so quiet now.I also put sound mat and insulated pad.

Kasey 1977 K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I opted for carpet for a quiet ride but was also concerned about rust since I had to rebuild the floor due to rust. So after I rebuilt the floor I applied bed liner to the floor and also added heat insulation before the carpet. I'm happy with the result.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey