Carb and vacuum line problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I'm linking an Imgur album with 22 pictures and descriptions under each picture.

https://imgur.com/gallery/9YOEaO8

I'm having trouble getting my 84 K10 5.0 305 Automatic truck to run. I know the carb needs a rebuild, but I started tracing the vacuum lines and discovered that almost all of them are missing and a few others are routed to the wrong place. The pictures I've linked do a pretty good job of showing most of the different components.

The biggest thing I'm wanting to do is remove all the AIR/Smog stuff. It's all unhooked and doesn't do anything anymore. Some of it is even missing. Now it's just in the way and making my engine bay cluttered and hard to work on. I'm also wanting to hook everything else back up in a way that everything will run well. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. What all can I remove? How do I hook everything else back up so it will run okay.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Having trouble getting it to run eh? Hell I'd be surprised if it ran at all since all those ports are open.

Starting with the charcoal canister, keep it, hook up the lines to it. It serves a function and will not hurt performance or the appearance of the engine bay. It'll actually help in most cases.

Oh and just post the pics here. We like pics here :)

Last edited:

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Here's some of the pics.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
The rest of the pics

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Having trouble getting it to run eh? Hell I'd be surprised if it ran at all since all those ports are open.

Starting with the charcoal canister, keep it, hook up the lines to it. It serves a function and will not hurt performance or the appearance of the engine bay. It'll actually help in most cases.

Oh and just post the pics here. We like pics here :)
I posted all the pictures I have.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
IIRC that big port on the front of the carb goes to the charcoal canister - looks a lot like mine.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
IIRC that big port on the front of the carb goes to the charcoal canister - looks a lot like mine.

Could you send me a picture of the left side of your carb? I'm wanting to find out if I'm missing a piece of linkage for my secondaries. The air valves on the top have a linkage on the passenger side but it's not hooked to anything .

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I will have to get a fresh one later - this is out of my camera gallery .

I have that same POS egr valve - had to change gaskets on it 1st thing ...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That's a mess you have there. As mentioned, it is surprising that your engine even runs. I don't know what emissions items you can unhook and what to leave hooked up to have it run, but there has to be others on here that do.

I do know that plugging a lot of ports on these carbs doesn't do well for them. I ran one on a vehicle that only needed the vacuum advance port, so everything else but the PCV port was plugged and it never did run right.

As suggested, get the canister lines back on per the sticker on the air cleaner assembly, get your PCV hooked up like it's supposed to be, and if you're going no smog parts, perhaps get a carburetor for a truck that had minimal emissions stuff on it. 3/4 tons and 1 tons typically had less emissions on them. I recently had to go through mine because it had vacuum leaks. I found 5 of them. Yours is one giant leak at this point. Get lots of 3/8" hose, take in a small piece of the smaller hose(s) to the auto parts place so they can match it up. Then have at it. Follow the routing on that sticker and you should be good to go.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0

I appreciate it. If you look at one of the pictures I posted of the passenger side of my carb you'll see what I'm talking about. There's a linkage that operates the secondary plates on the air horn. Mine doesn't have anything attached to it. And there's not a dangling piece of linkage that went there, but if I look down under that it almost seems like somebody snipped it off from lower on the carb. One of the pictures shows it but not well.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
That's a mess you have there. As mentioned, it is surprising that your engine even runs. I don't know what emissions items you can unhook and what to leave hooked up to have it run, but there has to be others on here that do.

I do know that plugging a lot of ports on these carbs doesn't do well for them. I ran one on a vehicle that only needed the vacuum advance port, so everything else but the PCV port was plugged and it never did run right.

As suggested, get the canister lines back on per the sticker on the air cleaner assembly, get your PCV hooked up like it's supposed to be, and if you're going no smog parts, perhaps get a carburetor for a truck that had minimal emissions stuff on it. 3/4 tons and 1 tons typically had less emissions on them. I recently had to go through mine because it had vacuum leaks. I found 5 of them. Yours is one giant leak at this point. Get lots of 3/8" hose, take in a small piece of the smaller hose(s) to the auto parts place so they can match it up. Then have at it. Follow the routing on that sticker and you should be good to go.

I appreciate the advice. I will be getting some vacuum hose and going to work on my truck this weekend. I do have a question though. What is the metal flexible duct that goes up from my left valve cover to my air cleaner? It doesn't fit on there very tightly, do I have to worry about that leaking?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
You may be better off getting a carb that has all of the correct parts on it, and keep yours as a spare.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0

This is what I'm talking about .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54