cannot get brakes to pump up 79 square

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I replaced the master cylinder with a new one about a year ago. I haven't driven it any distance since I've been repairing other things. replaced rear shoes, rear wheel cylinders, rear rubber brake hose, both rear solid lines, and solid lines from rear to the prop valve. I removed the switch from the proportioning valve and I can see the piston is centered and not "triggered". The pedal will not pump up to bleed the brakes and after a loooong time gravity bleeding the rears finally got fluid.

Question is...is there anything I should need to do like have the key on? Maybe I'm missing something? I don't think so but thought i'd ask before getting another master cylinder. Thanks.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Did you bench-bleed the master cylinder prior to installation?

curse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yes I did. Funny thing is the pedal would pump up before I replaced everything.

curse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I was opening the bleeder screws on wheel cylinders with a wrench and when the wrench hit the axle I figured it was far enough. It was about a quarter turn but no brake fluid would come out. I tried bleeding again today but when the wrench hit the axle I removed the wrench and turned the bleeders a tiny bit by hand and fluid flowed and a lot ofair was in lines. That was a first and now I have a pedal.

Reactions: WFO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell