Can you use a meyer ST plow without angling cylinders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I am getting a free meyer classic (the same as my gpas custom made one, he based it off that), and It comes with three springs for the tilt which makes it a slightly newer design of meyer ST snow plows. The sector is controlled with a pin as the plow sits, which I am worried is a little weak for side to side support. However, are the angling cylinders part of the side to side rigidity? I dont have a angling hydraulics, just a lift. I certainly could add hydraulics for side to side but thats not a huge deal for me, but If the cylinders dont have any fluid I dont think they would provide structure.

You must be registered for see images attach

This plow is in much better shape, but its the same setup.I think.
Basically, am i correct in assuming its going to need the angling rams for structural stability?

I forgot to grab a picture of my new plow, but if I need to setup the rams to use it I will probably hold it off and just not bother till spring.

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Without the rams hooked up its going to angle whichever way it wants there's nothing stopping movement. You could take them up and fab up some tube the same length and just make it permanently straight or angled if you wanted. Its not like the old school plows with pins to hold them in whichever angle you need.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Idk how strong the pin is, but doesn’t matter. You can use the cylinders manually to hold it at whatever angle you want.
Fill and bleed them and when they’re disconnected with quick couplers they’ll be locked. When you want to change angle, hook the 2 hoses together, move the plow, unhook.
Then it’s locked again.
It will get a little play in it after you hook and unhook a bunch of times and lose a little oil, but you can top it off if you have to.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have the same plow, and it has a bad angling Selonoid, so I just pin it to keep it angled (and connect the hoses for the cylinders to each other). Been using it like that off and on for years. But, it does have the cylinders on it, I think Taylor said hers is missing the cylinders. Not sure if that will make a difference, the cylinders may add strength to the assembly. If you always plow using the same angle, you could probably make some pipe braces to take the place of the cylinders.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have the same plow, and it has a bad angling Selonoid, so I just pin it to keep it angled (and connect the hoses for the cylinders to each other). Been using it like that off and on for years. But, it does have the cylinders on it, I think Taylor said hers is missing the cylinders. Not sure if that will make a difference, the cylinders may add strength to the assembly. If you always plow using the same angle, you could probably make some pipe braces to take the place of the cylinders.
I have A bunch of angling cylinders or just cylinders inb my shop on walls.. some might be for the plows but its hard to know. They probably all leak, too, now that its been years on a wall dry. But Once i get it to my shop I will probably measure some out or find the model number of the plow and find the spec(meyers website is pretty helpful for telling what cylinder length each model needs)

If I do have some good cylinders that match It may just be worth putting a valve block on to control, but meh, It tells me I wont be touching it for a little bit yet so at least I know that.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i didnt remember mine being so damaged, but It is a representative picture of the damage on my plow

I do know he had a shorter plow on the frame at one point, so maybe this plow was too wide for the gauge of steel. just a thought.

the kink on the bar that connects truck side is from when a dump pivot pin broke on the right side of the plow and it love-tapped my headlight housing(thank god it just cracked turn/dented bezel)
but it really demonstrated how its no longer gonna cut the cheese.

My gpa only made one point of pin for the angling but Either used insufficient diameter pins or the steel plate is just too weak. I know I could weld all this(well, figure out how to weld first) but im just gonna keep chasing bandaids I think.

Ive opened up more to the idea of hooking up angling hydraulics anyway, maybe do some local plowing for people or something. Or just comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400