Can you change door glass with a broken power window motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I picked up an '84 K1500 Sierra Classic the other day. The previous owner got a little careless while mowing the lawn and destroyed the driver side window in the process. I have another window ordered, but my concern is that this truck has power windows that don't seem to work. I hit the switch and I hear a faint click, this makes me think it's the regulator motor.

Will I need to fix the power windows before I change the glass or is there a convenient way to manipulate the regulator without damaging it further? I want to get the glass in ASAP, before the next big rainstorm floods the cab. Thanks.

squarelyfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
You can manually manipulate the regulator as the motor will turn with a slight bit of force. You can even change the motor with the glass & regulator in place but it would be a bit easier if you unbolted the regulator, I believe there are 3 bolts 2 nuts holding it in place.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thanks, everyone. I'll play around with it a little. Maybe if I'm lucky I can just jump the regulator off of the battery and save some hassle. Thankfully, it does look possible to change the glass whether it works or not though.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
At least you can remove the old window with a vacuum :)

If taking the time to remove the vent glass (which is needed to get the window installed) and fiddle with the regulator, you may as well test and replace the window motor if it's needed, while you have it all apart.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^I agree. New regulator should ship pretty quick and they’re cheap.
In the meantime a little tape and plastic will get ya thru a rainstorm.
Ultimately idk what you want or need to do with the doors and windows but your time is better spent doing it ALL at once.
But I don’t personally enjoy any window work that I’ve ever done. Usually look like I tried committing suicide with the worlds smallest knife along with general frustration that I don’t have hands and arms the size of an 8 year old!

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Ya'll make a good point. I might as well go ahead and swap the motor out while I'm in there. I'll end up hating myself later if I don't.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
At least you can remove the old window with a vacuum :)

If taking the time to remove the vent glass (which is needed to get the window installed) and fiddle with the regulator, you may as well test and replace the window motor if it's needed, while you have it all apart.
That's not entirely true Bucket, at least not with the power windows. You can remove the glass with the vent window in place. You have to have the window all the way up and remove the window channel. Use several pieces of painter's tape to hold the window up, and remove the regulator by removing the 2 nuts, 2 bolts, and sliding the rollers out of the channels. The window can then be removed from outside the truck. Slide the new window back in from outside the truck, and then the reverse order. Trick is sliding the window seal back into the channel. Use lots of silicone lube

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's not entirely true Bucket, at least not with the power windows. You can remove the glass with the vent window in place. You have to have the window all the way up and remove the window channel. Use several pieces of painter's tape to hold the window up, and remove the regulator by removing the 2 nuts, 2 bolts, and sliding the rollers out of the channels. The window can then be removed from outside the truck. Slide the new window back in from outside the truck, and then the reverse order. Trick is sliding the window seal back into the channel. Use lots of silicone lube

Ah, I've never tried that method. I'm always afraid to touch those run channel seals, mine always fall apart if you just look at them wrong, lol.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
After tearing the door down down, it appears the motor was fine, and it was actually the switch all along. Good thing I checked this before I bought a motor. The passenger side is still won't open, but at least I'll be able to keep the side of the cab dry now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK