Can you add a dome light to a truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottserado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a k10 without the optioned dome light would it be possible to add a dome light without cutting the metal interior roof?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I would recommend adding a rear view mirror with the dome lights in it. Just need to drill one small hole for the wires right above the windshield. This also puts the light in front of you instead of behind your head.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There are a ton of options for this. Surface mounted LED ones. Do you have a headliner? be nice to run the wires under it. Or you can do a battery powered one.

Scottserado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There are a ton of options for this. Surface mounted LED ones. Do you have a headliner? be nice to run the wires under it. Or you can do a battery powered one.
The whole reason I’m putting in a dome light is I put in a used headliner and it has a dome light hole but my truck dosent have a light

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The dome light and light harness is a separate item. I've never seen a truck with no dome light at all, so I'm not sure how much of the wiring is already in your truck.

This is how my factory setup works.
- Orange and white wires for interior lights come from under dash near the emergency brake, and then run down under the door kickplate and up into the cab corner behind the seat. These wires are also connected to the door switches (white wire only) and the factory under-dash courtesy light.
- Orange wire always has power, and the white wire is grounded to activate the interior lights (both dome and under-dash lights). White wire is grounded by one of the door switches, or by turning the headlight switch full counter-clockwise.
- In my truck there are push connectors where the two wires come up into the cab corner, and the dome light and exterior bed light are plugged into those wires. Factory setup is designed so that the exterior light will only switch on if the interior lights are also on.
- Dome light wires run up the cab corner and into the space between the two cab layers, and then across to the dome light. Its a short distance, and fairly easy to snake the wire across.

Do you already have door switches and/or an under-dash courtesy light? If that wiring is in place it should be fairly easy to install the dome light.

I don't know if newer dome lights are the same, but mine has the light socket set up to be electrically "floating" or insulated from the housing with small spacers. That allows them to provide constant power to the light and then switch the ground.

LMC truck sells a dome light wire harness, but I can't tell how long it is.

Bruce

Last edited:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’d just use this one but shim it out or notch the roof to make this sit flat. Again for the wires I’d run them under the headliner and down the plastic trim pieces. It would be a pain to run them between the skins.

You must be registered for see images attach

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The dome light and light harness is a separate item. I've never seen a truck with no dome light at all, so I'm not sure how much of the harness is already in your truck.

This is how my factory setup works.
- Orange and white wires for interior lights come from under dash near the emergency brake, and then run down under the door kickplate and up into the cab corner behind the seat. These wires are also connected to the door switches (white wire only) and the factory under-dash courtesy light.
- Orange wire always has power, and the white wire is grounded to activate the interior lights (both dome and under-dash lights). White wire is grounded by one of the door switches, or by turning the headlight switch full counter-clockwise.
- In my truck there are push connectors where the two wires come up into the cab corner, and the dome light and exterior bed light are plugged into those wires. Factory setup is designed so that the exterior light will only switch on if the interior lights are also on.

Do you already have door switches and/or an under-dash courtesy light? If that wiring is in place it should be fairly easy to install the dome light.

I don't know if newer dome lights are the same, but mine has the light socket set up to be electrically "floating" or insulated from the housing with small spacers. That allows them to provide constant power to the light and then switch the ground.

LMC truck sells a dome light wire harness, but I can't tell how long it is.

Bruce

I have seen some shaved and some just had the headliner cover it. But never a factory without.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 85 custom deluxe did not have one from the factory.

I bought the lens and harness from LMC for like $10. Make a small hole in the inner panel of the roof and attach. It would be extra easy in your case if you have a headliner to use as a template. Orange wire to batt terminal on fuse block, white to negative on door pin switch.

Easy peasy

nmyron3983

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My 85 custom deluxe did not have one from the factory.

I bought the lens and harness from LMC for like $10. Make a small hole in the inner panel of the roof and attach. It would be extra easy in your case if you have a headliner to use as a template. Orange wire to batt terminal on fuse block, white to negative on door pin switch.

Easy peasy
I apologize for bumping a dead thread but I wanted to ask some follow up here.

I too have a Custom Deluxe that did not come from factory with a dome light or a headliner. I have a courtesy light, and door switches, but the courtesy light only illuminates when I set my lamp switch to the dome setting.

I ordered new door switches, an extra courtesy light set (I want to add a couple extra lamps in the footwells) and a dome lamp. I'm sure I can solve the door switch issue, and drilling out the sheet metal and fishing the wire down the driver side of the gap between the roof panels is understood. But physically installing the light, do I just screw it straight to the interior roof skin over the wiring hole? Or do I need to make some kind of gasket to go between the housing and the roof skin?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the light housing is a factory type it will be curved on the mounting surface to fit the curve of the interior Sheetmetal. As you say, just cut a hole to run the wiring thru. It's held in place by two screws I believe. If I recall, the hole is square, not round. It has to fit around the plastic flange thingy that locates it. You can see whta I mean from eskimomanns post above.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Theres a thread in the Electrical section with wiring diagrams of the dome/courtesy/cargo lamp wiring.
You may find it helpful. And once you look at it, it’s super simple how those lights work. + is hot all the time and either the door buttons or headlight switch complete the ground to illuminate them.
Also drivers door button may be a 2 wire second wire triggers the key in ignition buzzer.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I’d just use this one but shim it out or notch the roof to make this sit flat. Again for the wires I’d run them under the headliner and down the plastic trim pieces. It would be a pain to run them between the skins.

Looks like the one that was in my 65 Suburban. Also for the 60-72 GM trucks

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Speaking of a dome light, or more a dome light wiring: Is there a way to turn it off? So far I've found that a light switch doubles as a dimmer dimmer and a dash dimmer doubles as a dome light ON switch, but I have not found how to permanently turn the lights off. It's bit annoying to disconnect the battery every time I work on doors :/

The idea of a mirror with built in reading lamps is a neat idea, I used it in a CRX I used to own, probably the most elegant way to add light up front with minimal or no modification to headliner.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Speaking of a dome light, or more a dome light wiring: Is there a way to turn it off? So far I've found that a light switch doubles as a dimmer dimmer and a dash dimmer doubles as a dome light ON switch, but I have not found how to permanently turn the lights off. It's bit annoying to disconnect the battery every time I work on doors :/

The idea of a mirror with built in reading lamps is a neat idea, I used it in a CRX I used to own, probably the most elegant way to add light up front with minimal or no modification to headliner.
Nope. No off switch. I just disconnect the battery.
But I have LED bulbs so unless I literally have to leave the door open all day or overnight I kinda don’t worry about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara