BC’s boat/dumpster fire thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@gotyourgoat,

Oh, I didn't say people don't drink in fear of getting stopped, oh no, they drink like a fish, pun intended. And yeah, they're called "Daiquirie Express", a drive through drink counter. When I was a lot younger I can't think any time I was on the water and didn't have a beer. Except that is, when I was with my wife"s family. They were all a bunch of Baptist t-totaler's.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Grit dog, What a beautiful rig!

I have got to the point where if the hull can't be repaired by welding, it's not worth it. I have a boat that I bought for $100 from a guy in my neighborhood. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and show it. It's a 1954 14' Dura Craft alum. hull that is semi flat in the back but comes to a point in the front. I don't know what kind of hull that's called. Semi-V? It came with it's original 1957 Johnson 7 1/2 HP motor, a original Johnson 5 gal. tank, and two sets of seats, two padded new kind, and two fiberglass or some kind of hard rubber little seats with no swivels on the bottom.

The Trailer is a '70's Dixie trailer with new tires on it, fenders but no tail lights, and a new front little wheel thing along with a rope cranking thing that was already on the trailer, and a new bumper hitch. And one of those four pack red life jackets you can get at Walmart. It had a boat battery in it with a trolling motor attached to the front but it didn't work and looked old and worn out and the cable and wires were all frayed and messed up. The battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge so I sold the battery to the recyclers, and trashed the trolling motor.

A family friend of his moved to another state for a job and didn't want to drag it up there where he was going, and GAVE it to this guy. It's all legal and I'm getting a license for the trailer because it's to old for a model number to be on the boat so just the trailer will have the registration.

The only thing I will need to spend money on is getting the engine running and there's a guy who works on those old motors here in town woh said he'd get it going for $250 to 300. I don't care but what I'd like for him to do is put the solid state ignition in it instead of the point ignition so it will crank right up instead of pulling which I'm not able to do. If it won't crank in two pulls then something else will have to happen. I have a lawn mower that is over 25 years old that I keep tuned up and carb in good shape and it has never taken more than two pulls to start it. It has a Briggs solid state ignition in it I put in and took the points out.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@bucket,

HOLY SMOKE!!! I can see where Iowa is allowing. You mean in my state, Louisiana and Texas to! You had better hide that beer real good because the lake patrol uses binoculars and you can't lie. They even carry breath testers, they will check your breath if they suspect you've been drinking. I'm telling you it's just like being stopped on the highway. If you want to carry a few beers to cop a buzz but that's all, you'd better sink those cans when you're done. They will ticket you for empties to. And then test your breath and if you're over the limit...off you go to jail with a DUI!

Last edited:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Well, y’all were right. Just got to put eyes on this thing in person yesterday, and good lord it’s rough. Holes drilled all over the hull to mount various parts. The front deck is busted in. There’s a 110 house outlet wired into the bow for who knows what. About the only good parts left are the seats and the windshield. I did pull the hummingbird fish finder and associated wiring, and the little white light that goes on the back of the boat. We’ll pull the motor and other parts, and I’ll save them for my future boat. The seats actually look relatively new. I didn’t get a great look, about this time I flipped the old bimini top over to get a better look and stirred up the guinie wasp nest that was under it. I decided at that point that I’d seen all I needed to, and headed for the house lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, y’all were right. Just got to put eyes on this thing in person yesterday, and good lord it’s rough. Holes drilled all over the hull to mount various parts. The front deck is busted in. There’s a 110 house outlet wired into the bow for who knows what. About the only good parts left are the seats and the windshield. I did pull the hummingbird fish finder and associated wiring, and the little white light that goes on the back of the boat. We’ll pull the motor and other parts, and I’ll save them for my future boat. The seats actually look relatively new. I didn’t get a great look, about this time I flipped the old bimini top over to get a better look and stirred up the guinie wasp nest that was under it. I decided at that point that I’d seen all I needed to, and headed for the house lol.

Yard boat rides?

:D

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
What’s the opinion on this boat? Is it worth the time to get it going again? It’s free, title included. My dad already has it, just not sure if it’s worth the effort. Motor supposedly runs, but the foot needs to be reinstalled. Only real catch is there’s no trailer. Any wood that is there will need to be replaced, which I don’t think there is very much of. The deck up front is also cracked and will need some fiberglass repair, which I know nothing about. Also, if someone has a 20’ or so trailer they would loan me so I can get it home, hit me up lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

Leave it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
@bucket,

HOLY SMOKE!!! I can see where Iowa is allowing. You mean in my state, Louisiana and Texas to! You had better hide that beer real good because the lake patrol uses binoculars and you can't lie. They even carry breath testers, they will check your breath if they suspect you've been drinking. I'm telling you it's just like being stopped on the highway. If you want to carry a few beers to cop a buzz but that's all, you'd better sink those cans when you're done. They will ticket you for empties to. And then test your breath and if you're over the limit...off you go to jail with a DUI!

Been like that for a lot of years now. Much more fun up to the early 90s.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I finally got off my a** and took those pics of my 1954 Dura Craft boat, old but fine.
Below are some pics of the 1957 Johnson 7 1/2 HP Sea Horse.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Grit dog, And a couple more.

I wanted to know if anyone knew what these little loops are for? There are several of them around near the top of the hull. I've tried to figure out what they are for to no avail. So maybe some of you boat guys know.They're all around both sides.
And what is this thing? This tube thing under the step? It turns if you take hold of it under there. But I don't think it's for a light because there is no sign of a hole ever being in the step above it. So what do you think?

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know the trailer needs new buck boards, and those boards under the boat. Bass Pro Shops has a huge ass store here and I've already located there all the boards I need to replace the old and missing wood on the trailer, including lights. I have all the rest of the trailer parts out in my shop, repainted the fenders, and like I mentioned in earlier post on this thread that it has new hitch parts and all.

The state troopers have already looked at it and I need to make an appointment for one to come by to search out all the numbers so I can get a new title in my name that way I can will it to my kids. Then they can have fun with it. You know the old saying, "Feed a man a fish......" They already know how to fish, now all they need is this boat. Once I get to feeble to get out I'm sure they'll want to borrow it. I want it licensed so they can. I sure as heck don't want the lake patrol to ticket them and impound the boat, they'll steal it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Raider L, maybe just loops to tie the boat up to a dock?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Grit dog,

Yeah, maybe. But they are put on in a certain pattern, like more on one side than the other. Why? If it was just tie downs or whatever to tie onto the dock are called, you know all those boat things have all that ship talk and named stuff, "cleats", and ropes are "lines", I don't know what else. Otherwise there should be like one on the front and one on the back. But they're all over the boat. You got me. And what about that thing under that corner seat? Like the upper part of it, there's two parts, a upper half and a lower half. It's the lower half that turns. The upper half is welded to a plate that's under that corner seat, and the plate is welded to the bottom of the corner seat. Weird, huh?

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I wanted to know if anyone knew what these little loops are for? There are several of them around near the top of the hull. I've tried to figure out what they are for to no avail. So maybe some of you boat guys know.They're all around both sides.
And what is this thing? This tube thing under the step? It turns if you take hold of it under there. But I don't think it's for a light because there is no sign of a hole ever being in the step above it. So what do you think?
M going to say the loops on the sides are for storing oars maybe? That other piece? Beats me. Unless it was a mount for a bilge pump to hang off of?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
could it be for a pulley and bracket to attach to for a steering wheel (cables to run to the outboard)? Think I remember seeing cables on my dads boat that went along those....but haven't seen it since the '80's. His had a cover/console with wheel and windshield on the front though. Was the same type boat though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8