Cab Swaps/VIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
What do the guys do that swap cabs on a truck? Do they only buy a cab that some with a title? I sure wouldn't want to have my VIN checked by the cops or an insurance company and have it not match my registration.
Joe

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Kind of a grey area. I see this question come up from time to time.

I've swapped the cab in a Toyota pickup without changing the registration or VIN. Technically maybe you're supposed to the way the law is written in a lot of states but who's gonna know? Same frame, same engine, same doors, fenders, dashboard and everything else that was original. You can easily swap the plates on the dash and doorjamb. The only place with a different VIN at that point would be the one on the firewall and who ever looks there? Plus, even with a picky inspector, if EVERYTHING else comes back to the original VIN who's gonna say anything about that? Just be honest, say the cab was ****** up so you replaced it with one from a junkyard or a private sale. Maybe keep that bill of sale with you.

People worry too much about laws sometimes, you really just gotta do what's reasonable regardless of what some book says, usually common sense will prevail. Or if you're really that worried about it, carefully cut out and weld that part of the firewall even, then it really is the exact same truck. I may or may not have also done that to various vehicles over the years...

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
In the state of Pennsylvania you would need to apply for a reconstructed vehicle title. Supply paperwork and money, receive a new vin plate and title.

Now if you never plan on selling the vehicle, the original vin plate is just riveted on....

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
First check with the DMV or Highway Patrol in your state. In California, vehicles are titled by the frame. Others here have posted that it is by the body. To have it certified by your state you probably need to have both titles so they can merge the files into a new title.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As long as you aren't doing anything to be deceptive; treat it as a replacement part and remove from one cab and put on the replacement part. No different than a fender, etc. This is a 30-40 year old truck, not a high dollar exotic. The rivets can be ordered online and they are $50-100 for 2-4 rivets. Like others have stated, hold onto any paperwork, but as long as frame matches cab, you should be ok.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
Thanks for the replies, and great advice. I'll check with the local DMV guys to see what the official procedure is. I'm too old for ass-ache.
Joe

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I got into a jam with this in Kansas I had to apply for a constructed vehicle title. I was told by the police it was a felony for me to switch the dash tag, so I didn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK