Cab lights with no headliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I’ve got a ‘78 C10 without an interior headliner or pillar trim. If I wanted to install exterior cab roof lights, is there a way to do it without drilling all the way through the cab into the interior, which would then (I assume) necessitate installing a headliner and trim to conceal the wiring?

Maybe a dumb question...I’m just not sure if the cab roof is single or double walled, and if double, if it’s possible to get in there. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The cab roof is double wall, the factory lights were installed with holes in the outer skin only. I'm not entirely sure about the best way to route the harness through the roof.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes, some of the roof is double walled. If you remove the driver's side sun visor and look inside the mounting hole, this will give you an Idea how much room in the front of the cab roof you have to work with. Also this will give you access to snake a wire down the front pillar.

Another idea might be buy a roll bar/ light bar, to mount in the front of the bed. Put your ICC lights on that instead. Unless you are careful, drilling 15 holes in the roof will give you a place for rust a start, and that many chances for roof leaks.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
If you end up doing it this is what it looks like. I had some funky lights on mine when I bought it and went back to the stock lights.

I think there’s almost 1” between the outer and inner skins where the lights go and the rubber gasket is the base of the light. The bulb socket fits in the center and it is grounded with a clip to the body at each light. I put ring terminals on instead of the clips and used the mounting screw to ground it under the gasket.

On the older trucks the lights just screw to the roof with sheet metal screws. Newer trucks have nutserts and machine screws I believe.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
My pickup has nuts welded in from the factory. When I put lights on the Suburban I used Nutserts. You want to use a machine screw if you can. If you end up using sheet metal screws grind the points off so they don't pierce a wire and cause a short.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Went thru this last summer when I installed a Lund Moonvisor. My lights are LED and mounted flush in the visor which meant I only had to drill 1 quarter inch hole for the wiring. Use a long stiff wire with a hook on the end to fish the wires out thru the drivers side sunvisor mounting hole.

I tried for hours to fish the wire down the inside of the a-pillar with no luck. Finally gave up and ran it inside the roof down the b-pillar behind driver's seat and forward under the mat to the light switch.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Super helpful. Side question: did anybody spray in foam insulation into their roof gap, and if so did it help with noise and temp control?

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Super helpful. Side question: did anybody spray in foam insulation into their roof gap, and if so did it help with noise and temp control?

I wouldn't suggest it, you'd be better off getting a headliner and the trim pieces and insulating the roof with stick on sheets and then covering with the headliner.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I watched a youtube video a while back of a guy showing how to use compressed air to help feed the harness down the inside of the A pillar for the light install. Made it real easy. Of course I can't find it now.

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
I watched a youtube video a while back of a guy showing how to use compressed air to help feed the harness down the inside of the A pillar for the light install. Made it real easy. Of course I can't find it now.
Another trick is to use a shop-vac to suck the loose wires out of an opening, used to do this when I was building bikes and wanted to run the switch wires inside the bars .

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you can't push or pull wire thru the pillar, I don't see how blowing and sucking air is going to make it happen. There seems to be a point in there where it hits an obstruction. I've done it with heavy thread which is then used to pull the wire back thru. I'd like to see a vacuum strong enough to pull copper wire?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
could you fish it with a house wiring fishing tool?

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I’ve got a ‘78 C10 without an interior headliner or pillar trim. If I wanted to install exterior cab roof lights, is there a way to do it without drilling all the way through the cab into the interior, which would then (I assume) necessitate installing a headliner and trim to conceal the wiring?

Maybe a dumb question...I’m just not sure if the cab roof is single or double walled, and if double, if it’s possible to get in there. Thanks!

Like the truck.. LOVE the dog

RyanStrong76

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy
Engine Size

Hey I just joined this group! I have a 76 Chevy with no headliner. I’d like to add cab lights. What did you do and how did you do it? Also how hard was it thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat