Cab and bed mounts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
So I'm taking the bed and cab off of my 87 2WD donor truck and both rear cab mounts are loose but then just spin now and aren't coming all the way off. I got the two front cab mounts out. Three of the 8 bed bolts are doing the same. Any ideas? I was going to use/buy a adjustable pickle fork to maybe put tension on the bolts and see if they will break loose.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you can cut the heads of the mounting bolts (criss cross cut the heads with a cut off wheel)...then use acold chisel to break the heads off. If not accessible with a cut off wheel, a sawzall will also do the trick. 30 plus years of moisture and rust reeks havoc on the mounting bolts. It's best to replace the hardware anyway...and use stainless steel when you do. Even though I'm not in the rust belt, I replaced all of mine with stainless bolts, washers and nylock nuts.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
I am in the rust belt but the truck came from Oklahoma/Arkansas area so no rust at all. Cutting the bolt heads was an option just want to be careful not to damage the bed floor. The stainless steel is a good idea, thanks!

Just bought a nice impact so that would work real nice. What about the cab mounts? There isn't a way to access the top side of the bolt and I DO NOT want to cut a hole in the cab to access them.

Skid

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Which one? :) 70, 73, 01
Truck Model
K20, C10, 2500HD
Engine Size
292 L6, 5.3 LS, 6.0 LS
For bed bolts I have tacked welded the head of the bolt in a couple places before. Then just cut off the tack and flap wheel them down after.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You can also weld somthing to the head of the bed bolt. I have drilled a 3/8" hole through flat bar and plug welded it right on top of the bolt.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Don't know how you're gonna get to the nuts inside the cab without cutting anything.

I replaced all my cab mount bolts with grade 8's. Figured they wouldn't ever shear during a collision.

1984k20

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Once the captured nut breaks loose, you'll never get the bolt out. I've used a metabo, or a metal cutting disc to cut a window in the cab floor. That's about the only way to gain access to the spinning nut.

When you are bolting it back together, coat the new bolt threads with neversieze. That way, next time it won't be so much trouble.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
use a hole saw to cut access holes in the cab to get to the nuts to keep them from spinning.

I cut the sides on bed bolts, so you can put a wrench on them to hold and then one under to turn the nuts, if not just cut em completely.

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Thanks to everyone who helped out. I ended up using a hole saw to get access and then shoved a piece of flat steel to stop the nut from spinning. I kept the metal I cut to maybe weld back in but was thinking about using some sort of body plug to cover the hole. Anyone know if there are some out there?

Jiggity76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7 V8
Thanks to everyone who helped out. I ended up cutting holes in the cab with a hole saw, shoved in a piece of flat steel to stop the nut from spinning. Thought about finding some body plugs to cover the holes but kept the metal in case I wanted to weld over the holes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54