C30 Camper Special Fuel Filler Inlet question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmall_King

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Hello my new to me 76' C30 Scottsdale Camper special has dual 20 gal tanks with Both inlets on the Passenger side. The inlet for the Driver side tank and crossover pipe are missing can I use a regular fuel inlet? There isn't as much room for the second inlet(Driver side Tank) as the first(Passenger side Tank). any help would be great. With this 454 I'm gonna need both tanks haha

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've never seen that configuration before, but cool looking truck!

You are correct on needing both tanks though, lol!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Hello my new to me 76' C30 Scottsdale Camper special has dual 20 gal tanks with Both inlets on the Passenger side. The inlet for the Driver side tank and crossover pipe are missing can I use a regular fuel inlet? There isn't as much room for the second inlet(Driver side Tank) as the first(Passenger side Tank). any help would be great. With this 454 I'm gonna need both tanks haha

I'm 99% sure that is not a factory installation. Dual 20 gallon tanks would have been a factory option for your truck, but it would have had a filler on each side. I had a 74 C20 with that installation and my 1980 K25 also has the one filler per side with 20 gallon tanks. I doubt you are going to be able to buy replacement parts for that, you will likely need to fabricate something, but I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to get enough drop from one side to the other for it to even be able to fill properly like that.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
unless yours isnt the original fender badge, Im pretty sure it should say camper special instead of scottsdale. but. idk. did the C&C chassis ever get a factory camper with a passthrough to the cab anyone know like fords did at least in the 60s, I saw fords alternative mounted gas tank to accomodate both a side entry door to the camper and moving the inside frame one to make a pass through into the cab but that wouldnt apply to saddle tanks I think. is your tank mounted backwards? I dont see how that run could fill it reasonably quick without pumping back out at you since it would be a flat, straight run across a distance. Is there a non-saddle tank on the inside of the frame(which is taller and wider on your truck, I believe..? as a 30 that is)
Steel angled gas tanks were available on the previous gen truck, with more room and taller I could see maybe inside frame auxillary tank mounting, but I am not certain its factory. I could see for a C&C for special use but not a dually bed

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
We need some photos of this setup from under the truck. Did they cut away some of the frame, or drill holes in the frame rails, like when installing a pipe through joists in a house? How and the heck did they route it to the other side and still be able to fill the driver's side tank from the passenger side?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
We need some photos of this setup from under the truck. Did they cut away some of the frame, or drill holes in the frame rails, like when installing a pipe through joists in a house? How and the heck did they route it to the other side and still be able to fill the driver's side tank from the passenger side?
I did some digging and it looks like it may be two things. A non square tank mounted inside the rails with a side/mid opening that slants 45 toward the side of truck, so it would narrowly probably fit under the bed maybe, pass overthe area where the other filler is, and just mounts up near it. That is a possibility based on ford and pre 73 chevys options for tanks. Then there is a flat wide tank that sits above the drive shaft area closer to the cab but it spans outward. same deali there. Another possibility, which I think may be possible here, Is a

basically, he has the most space of most squares to hide a extra gas tank, his owner nbefore him looked to keep good care of it and wanted it to look at least professional, may or may not have had access to factory era aux tanks(last one), maybe some fords (prev ones) ford was big on midship mountings. Then of course you could have various tanks if you found a way to couple them down low.. I read about a lot of aircraft magic voodo about using connections vents in places long straight shots with a tall enough start and long enough neck they could enter inslightly low or have a piping go far, people using pumps to equalize supplies etc.... excessive to most of us, for certain, but doable nonetheless. It would be nice to see the inside of bed AND the under truck. There is a lot of unused bedside open area probably being utilized, the inside rail areas can have any numerous tanks, and then the big old rear tank upgrade which can have a front piped filler if done right. I would also like to see the cab switching setup, if at all. Basically, dedicated people for large fuel capacitys find a way. And ford plastic tanks, dodge everything tanks are popular for fun size shapes and then the aftrmarket companies themselves.

ive been having trouble IDing this tank but I believe it may be a travelers fuel tank shaped for a purpose somewhere. maybe. he doesnt have return lines likely and prob not needing a canister so piping tanks would be relatively easy i suppose?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's what I was thinking was like somekind of a Blazer tank, but dang that would still be a long way to run a pipe back there between the rails all the way to the end of the frame. I don't think it's like that on second thought. So since this post was on Aug. 6 we still don't have an answer to this mystery, @Farmall_King! Where's 'dem pic's?? And wouldn't you want the tanks to be on both sides so it would be balanced? Can't imagine two 20 gal. tanks full on one side of the truck!

Farmall_King

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Sorry I haven't got back on here I'll get some Pics tomorrow. Its the regular 20 gal tanks one on each side. But, on the Driver side the rubber fill points toward the Passenger side goes up over the Frame to what I would assume was a Metal Pipe that went to the Pass. side and then to the Second Fill nozzle. Looks like it would fill ok but, not very fast. There's a sticker in the cab i'll get a Pic of it as well that says something about the Tank switch under the Driverside Vent.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Great looking truck! I pained over this for a spell also. Here's a link to my old thread, good luck.

Farmall_King

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Grabbed a few pics sorry it’s been raining all day best I could do atm. Also pics of the build plate.

Attachments

• B13755A1-8C5D-4F0D-BEFA-C7B551FB5097.jpeg
    B13755A1-8C5D-4F0D-BEFA-C7B551FB5097.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 26A4934D-AE03-4E1E-AD0B-0489E02FFF11.jpeg
    26A4934D-AE03-4E1E-AD0B-0489E02FFF11.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 95
  • 8EA027FE-3AF6-42F4-86E4-9C1E79D028DC.jpeg
    8EA027FE-3AF6-42F4-86E4-9C1E79D028DC.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 0C4A5991-2C81-4900-A6B5-0E94AF6E179F.jpeg
    0C4A5991-2C81-4900-A6B5-0E94AF6E179F.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 17937FFD-60BE-4295-A017-482452234B55.jpeg
    17937FFD-60BE-4295-A017-482452234B55.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 93

Farmall_King

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Pass side

Attachments

• 2CD41270-ECAF-413F-BEB1-2D8336D06163.jpeg
    2CD41270-ECAF-413F-BEB1-2D8336D06163.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 80

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Pass side
Do you know what country your truck was sold in originally or what the driver door jam tag indicates? Was it a incomplete vehicle or meeting some special criteria? Ive never seen RPO codes with a prefix of 1 before the codes before and your truck has what appears original to factory. I ask for location because its known that Squares sold in south america, possibly mexico, maybe central have a lot of weird or curious rare features or things that are not well documented in known literatures.

here is an example of what i mean, this is like mexico or columbia or soemthing similar. its south of the US, thats an easy way to categorize. GM is obviously around the globe and they prob could sell vehicles in south america cheaper than ford or dodge ever could dream because of their size, and probably bought us government to make regs that favored them or soemthing like they used to do(gm was an absolute monolith in politics in the 50s lol) but either way Its why I ask.

Can we see pics of the truck from a bit aways, but all the side and rear angles, in the bed, maybe under the truck generally? Is the VIN decode to anything special? Its 14 digits long, i believe for that year, and it may be nonstandard if it was originally outside US for sale and may have a VIN affixed by govt if it was imported, for example, that would be obvious. I wanna know more about this because its rare and knowledge is an ever unsatiable hunger that is also like comfort food. nom nom nom
@bucket @HotRodPC you guys ever see a 4 digit RPO which just has a 1 as a prefix for normal codes!? You guys have seen a lot of squares.

If i remembered the guy who is from columbia id ask him if he has his RPO Sheet or if there is anything to that effect hes seen.

Maybe he was from Chile... or maybe that was someone else.. meh

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Keith Seymore your expertise could be helpful. I saw a thread about dealer order numbers where you and bucket talked about prefixes from 2018, and I remembered your our residential man from the inside and was wondering if you have any knowledge about prefixes to RPO numbers like this poster has. 1 in this case. and his truck is definitely unique and his fuel tank setup seems stock and if it wasnt, it was damn good body work

@Farmall_King does the gas gauge say unleaded only by chance ?

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The "1" is just a dummy character to fill the space. My SPID has all 9's at the beginning. The actual RPO is still J55 or M40 or whatever.

You might be thinking of an SEO ("Specialty Equipment Option") which is like a COPO option for low volume medium duty type builds. They have a format of number/alpha/number, like 6E2 or 9C1.

In any case, the configuration on the OP's truck is not factory.

K

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Definitely not factory. The SPID sheet would show code "NL2 Aux Fuel Tank" if it had a factory dual tank system. Someone tried to make their own dual tank setup and didn't do a very good job of it. It probably never really filled right or worked correctly so they partially ripped it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8