C10 vs K10 steering component kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
I'm having a good time trying to find a front end rebuild kit for my 83 k10 suburban. C10 kits seem to be common. But ive only found a couple that specifically state they are for K series. And they are the cheap parts w/o grease fittings.

I guess my question is....are the ball joints / tie rods the same for the two? Seems silly that moog would offer a kit for C10 but not K10. Buying individual parts seems a good bit more expensive.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Rockauto doesn't have a "kit" but they sell all the parts you need. They are cheaper than most local stores, especially if you get it all shipped at one time.

For my K25 I replaced ball joints and tie rods, so I can give you some specific pointers.
- You need to pull the hub, spindle and axle to replace ball joints, so there is a lot that has to come off. Once you get it there you can borrow the ball joint press from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. I also bought the special 4WD socket at Autozone, and found there are three different types. Somehow I picked the right one the first time.

- I removed the steering arm from the hub on driver's side. I can't recall if you must remove the arm to use the ball joint tool, but for some reason I thought it was necessary. The three bolts on the arm are really tight (impact gun got a workout), have special tapered washers, and should be reinstalled with self-locking nuts. Not really that hard, but a PIA.

- You also have to pull the axle on each side, and the combination of hub, spindle and axle has multiple seals (wheel bearing seal, axle/hub seal, and a flat rubber gasket, IIRC) as you pull it apart. The parts diagrams are hard to read, so I ended up making a couple more trips to the store to get the right seals. Take pictures of the inside of the hub and all the parts as you go along, or at least do only one side at a time so that you make sure you know how it goes back together.

- The upper ball joints will come with a new upper ball joint adjusting sleeve, which is screwed into the top of the hub (it works like a race that the ball joint pin fits into). Removing this sleeve requires a special tool like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRDEG/ . I don't know if this sleeve really wears out, but I got the tool and replaced it.

- For new tie rods you need to make sure they match the configuration of your truck. GM changed the design a couple of times, and the threads are sometimes different, so it does make a difference. On a 4WD straight axle the tie rods are used to adjust toe-in. Orientation of the tie rods and clamps is significant to avoid interference, but you can probably just match the length of the old tie rods to the new and alignment will be fine.

- Most references to an "inner tie rod" are talking about the ends of the drag link, which you may also want to replace since it will tighten up the steering. The drag link is also used to center the steering wheel. If you replace the drag link you should take pictures and measurements first. It has two clamps and the two ends are probably not identical. Both the link and the clamps need to be oriented properly to ensure they won't hit anything and catch, regardless of axle movement and steering geometry changes.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the wealth of info. One more example of why I love this forum.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
So.... The moog "outer center drag link" (DS893) that I ordered for my truck very much does not match the unit on my rig. The one on my truck connects to the steering damper in the center. The one I was sent (and that ive found in every other kit) has the hole just a couple inches from the end. Does anybody have a part number for the correct link? Or a work around?

@Bextreme04 @Raider L @75gmck25

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My ‘75 GMC K25 uses a drag link with a center mounting for the stabilizer. The one listed for my truck is a Moog DS841, and it’s 52.24” long. It does not cross-reference to your newer truck, but maybe someone has swapped parts from an older truck.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
@75gmck25. You are a God send brother. Thats the part on my truck. You wouldent happen to have a PN handy for the other end? It appears that I also have the wrong part there as well (go figure).

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Idk if I'm just searching the wrong terms...but all of the parts im finding do not have this bend. They are flat. The one I was sent also has a hole in it...im assuming for another dampner?

Lol if there was a class on finding parts, I would take it. So far its been the hardest part of rebuilding this truck. I'm for sure writing all these part numbers down in a book. And for good measure, I'm going to keep in a fire safe with my break down kit.

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
So...i just identified my front axle as a Dana44. Acording to the BOM code (603454 9)....its from a "74-75' K5 / K10 Pick up or wagon". Has a 3.07 ratio. So thats interesting.

Now....should all the steering parts I'm buying be for this axle? Like ball joints and such as well? And is there any way to use this info to determine what seals the hub will need?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I looked up the parts for the short end of the tie rod and I’m still not sure of the right number. Maybe I can find my receipt from where I purchased the new one, but it will take some searching.

My ‘75 K25 has a Dana 44 HD axle in 4.10 ratio. I’m not sure what is different on the HD axle, but it was used on the 3/4 ton trucks. I’m going to attach a picture of my tie rod, just for reference.

Attachments

• DEE21019-9621-4A0D-BD23-4881EA19D923.jpeg
    DEE21019-9621-4A0D-BD23-4881EA19D923.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 99

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
@75gmck25

I think I found it in a kit (ES449L). Assuming the website im linking to is legit. That is a pricy kit. And sadly, as of right now, you cant get either link for cheap on Amazon. But thankfully all the ball joints are the same.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

its possible i was mistaken but the shaft on the right is different but it was, for what i thought, a dana 44 on a GM 70s truck but it may have been the light duty while the left broken ones are from my 80 k25

the shaft I took out of this one on my k25
this next is the axle I took it from 77 k25

Attachments

• 20200222_133839.jpg
    20200222_133839.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 82

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

78 K10 with d44 front. smaller knuckles, brakes, hub(only because 6 lug on those two), smaller tubes maybe?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
So...i just identified my front axle as a Dana44. Acording to the BOM code (603454 9)....its from a "74-75' K5 / K10 Pick up or wagon". Has a 3.07 ratio. So thats interesting.

Now....should all the steering parts I'm buying be for this axle? Like ball joints and such as well? And is there any way to use this info to determine what seals the hub will need?
I would say just order all steering components for the year of your axle... so when looking for application, search for 74 K10 steering components.

It looks like that curved one is on some 73-76 K10/20's and can be found as Delphi PN TA5315

83Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
@Bextreme04
Are there any wheel bearing / seal kits that I should avoid? Or any that you would recomend?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54