Bvllsh!t on craigslist.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
To add to this incredible day on craigslist I just saw a post for a rebuilt and painted gm 4 speed transmission for a GM truck.

I just called the guy and it sounds like he has a SM465, right after I bought a good and used one for 150.

Gonna check it out, if its a 465 I will take the hit and buy this one too.
I thnk I posted in another thread about it, I recently bought a SM465, with bell housing and shiftfork, and a Transfer case adapter for NP208 for $50. Works fine the guy said. He just converted to NV4500. Oil appears good, pulled the stick out and looked down it, appeared good and I have no reason to believe the guy would lie. This one was used of course. The last one I seen rebuilt here, was rebuild said to be used for 6 months then the motor blew, so they took a pic of laying in the back of a pick up, with the stick out of it, and oil running all over the pick up bed and they were asking $300. LMAO, HELLL NO !!!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
60 bucks seems like a great deal, He said I could pull the lid off and check out the gears if I wanted. The story goes he baught it alot of years ago for his landcruiser, he was doing some sort of swap and was after a SM420. He confirmed its not a 420 and not sure what it is, I asked if it had the pto block off plates and he said he does remember them. If it is in fact a 465 I will definetly get it and it will be the ONE SINGLE THING on my truck that has FRESH SHINEY PAINT.

I got a new floor jack and transmission mount ready to go, The transfer case is drained and the driveshaft is out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
60 bucks seems like a great deal, He said I could pull the lid off and check out the gears if I wanted. The story goes he baught it alot of years ago for his landcruiser, he was doing some sort of swap and was after a SM420. He confirmed its not a 420 and not sure what it is, I asked if it had the pto block off plates and he said he does remember them. If it is in fact a 465 I will definetly get it and it will be the ONE SINGLE THING on my truck that has FRESH SHINEY PAINT.

I got a new floor jack and transmission mount ready to go, The transfer case is drained and the driveshaft is out.

:grd::grd::grd: Where is this guy at from you? I'd be all over it like white on rice.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I went and checked out that transmission this afternoon, right away I thought SM420. It looked great and would say it was worth at least 400. This poor dude pulled it out of a truck years ago to put in his Land Cruiser and dumped a bunch of money into it having it rebuilt. He said he ran numbers on it that confirmed it was not a SM420 so he never put it in his land cruiser.

After doing a google image search I know it was a sm420, He told me someone called him right after I did asking for 420 and he told them it was a 465. Everyone got screwed because of lack of research.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I went and checked out that transmission this afternoon, right away I thought SM420. It looked great and would say it was worth at least 400. This poor dude pulled it out of a truck years ago to put in his Land Cruiser and dumped a bunch of money into it having it rebuilt. He said he ran numbers on it that confirmed it was not a SM420 so he never put it in his land cruiser.

After doing a google image search I know it was a sm420, He told me someone called him right after I did asking for 420 and he told them it was a 465. Everyone got screwed because of lack of research.
Bummer for all involved. And this is why I usually help most people out on CL if I can. If I see something not right, I'll email them and let them know. Most will appreciate it. In fact, 1 guy emails me all the time asking me stuff, after email back and forth for a few weeks off an on, I find he does body work. He's supposed to be hooking me up with some good deals, or trading me some mechanical work for body work. Thats the way I like things done. In fact I just did one today helped a guy out on his 700r4 sale.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Bummer for all involved. And this is why I usually help most people out on CL if I can. If I see something not right, I'll email them and let them know. Most will appreciate it. In fact, 1 guy emails me all the time asking me stuff, after email back and forth for a few weeks off an on, I find he does body work. He's supposed to be hooking me up with some good deals, or trading me some mechanical work for body work. Thats the way I like things done. In fact I just did one today helped a guy out on his 700r4 sale.

Good job on the body work, even if you know how to do it Its always better watching someone else sand bondo for hours on end.

I feel better setting this dude straight, I just checked CL and noticed he re-listed it as a 420 and he's asking 300.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here is what his ad said and still does BTW and our email conversation below it. CL has been good for me, and I hear the same complaints over and over about it. So if the few that can help, would do so, it makes it better for everyone. Email conversation has to be read from bottom up to follow if interested. But clearly, this guy had lots of stuff wrong with his ad.

4 L 60 trans with shift down cable - $250 (okc)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-10-20, 2:15PM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a rebuilt 4 L 60 transmission out of a 90 suburban 4 x 4. 250 or best offer. It is a 4 L 60 not a 4 L 60 e. It has a shift down cable and square plug on driver side for the shift solenoids. This was rebuilt in the middle of 2008 and truck sat a year due to suspension issues and major frame rust so doesn't have many miles (less than 1000). I have a toque converter that was new at the same time 50 firm. Also have newer tires and factory 6 lug chevy rims. Please call 405-881-6660 anytime before 2am. I'm up late and don't mind.

Thanks again. I'm a mechanic (engine, suspension, and r&r only). I don't have any knowledge on 4 x 4 transmissions, so you have been very helpful.
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:55:14 -0500
NO problem. Also Look for a big K on the passenger side of the trans on the bell housing. IF it’s a K case, mention that in your ad. Being it’s a 4x4 case, it should be, just not sure if they were still included in 90, but the K case is better and a bit stronger in the bell housing area with a bit more meat to it. So if it’s a K case, off roaders look for K cases, that also ought to help you find a buyer. Doesn’t mean its worth any more, but just might be enough to tip the scale and get someone to buy yours rather than someone elses.

Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:50 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: 4 L 60 trans with shift down cable - $250 (okc)

thanks
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:23:07 -0500

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Just to help you out here. I’d change the ad title to 4L60, without spaces since people do searches and search for 4L60. I’d also add 700r4 since they are the same transmission GM just changed the name of the transmission model #’s. So anyone looking for a 700r4 will also find your ad. Also the cable is not a shift down or kick down cable. It’s a TV (Throttle Valve) cable. Very important to be adjusted right and hooked up or you will burn up the trans since it regulates fluid pressure according to throttle pressure. The square connection is not for shift solenoids. Solenoids are only in a 4L60-E model. That is the connection for the Lock up torque converter and all it does. Change your ad up a bit and you might have better luck selling it. I’d also include the torque converter with the trans to have a better chance of it selling. Good Luck.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/2016490883.html

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
There was a guy selling a digital cluster for a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme "classic" on CL for $300. I tried to inform him that it was for a FWD CS because G body Cutlasses never received a digital cluster. I had 3 of the same clusters laying around. he sent me a long rant about how I was full of **** and told me to **** off. Either he sold it to someone that didn't know the difference, or he's still got it thinking he has something rare.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There was a guy selling a digital cluster for a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme "classic" on CL for $300. I tried to inform him that it was for a FWD CS because G body Cutlasses never received a digital cluster. I had 3 of the same clusters laying around. he sent me a long rant about how I was full of **** and told me to **** off. Either he sold it to someone that didn't know the difference, or he's still got it thinking he has something rare.
yeah, as I said MOST people appreciate the help, but I have had a couple people do the same thing to me. But whats funny, a few days later, you see someone post up, the guy with the digital cluster is full of BS, I wasted my time going to look at them, its junk or not what he says for example. You'd think the guy would change the ad after someone went and seen it and physically told him, and showed him. But NO, there are some crooks and ********* out there.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
In a town about an hour East of Reno some dude has the biggest collection of AMC vehicles ever. He started putting them on CL parting them out and some jerk off was posting "NO BODY WANTS YOUR JUNK", "YOUR MAKING FALLON LOOK BAD" etc. I dont understand why someone would be so mad about auto parts being posted in the auto parts section of CL.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What a ***** and the guy is wrong. I'd love to have pile of AMC parts. Local CL isn't the place to be selling them though. DieHard AMC fans pay big bucks for parts when they can find them. He needs to hit up eBay iwth those parts. I'm not an AMC fan at all, but for the few out there, parts are scarce. Yep, I know where Fallon is. One of dads' good buds lived there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128