Bulkhead / Firewall Connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any idea who makes these or where to buy one? Mine is cracked/broken - PO's son screwed something for a trailer hitch control to the firewall and literally impaled one corner / broke it off. Not interested in a $700 kit to get one - just need the 2 sides of the plug. Will also need to find the connectors as I think some of my gauges dont work because of this damage.

Also - are they the same connector on the 80s cars as the trucks?

Plan B is to find someone parting one out that would sell me the connector.

TIA

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You need the fuse box, or the firewall half of the engine/light harness? Post a picture of what your needing.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This clown put a long sheet metal screw through the upper outer corner of this connector (both halves look broken). Cant exactly see what (if any) wires/prongs are damaged, but the whole mess needs to be removed anyways, so want to replace this and any damaged prongs when I do.

THANKS.

You must be registered for see images attach

FWIW....I called Painless (their kit on the pic) about buying one from them - thery say they dont sell them but to call a company called Mouser. I looked up their site but couldn't find anything like it.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I think pretty much every square body truck used that same bulkhead connector. Should be pretty easy to find. When you do find one, I’d suggest making a diagram and drawings with wire color. Remove each wire one at a time and reinstall in the new body. Then repeat the process on the harness side. Keep in mind there will be multiple wires the same color, in different connector grouping. If your not careful and patient you could end up with a horn that sounds with the turn signal, or wipers that turn on with the key, etc.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I dont know how to ping or reference someones name on the forum, but user gmachinz does a lot of wiring harness work. If he sees this or you message him it might be something he has insight on.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I found the original part number and manufacturer....its an obsolete part but there is an 'updated' replacement. Going to contact them Monday.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I found the original part number and manufacturer....its an obsolete part but there is an 'updated' replacement. Going to contact them Monday.
Let us know, I'm interested as well.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Let us know, I'm interested as well.

Absolutely. Looks like a supply place that orders start at "10-25pcs". They had both halves (2 different PNs) and from what I could figure, they weren't bad (<$20 for the pair at minimum quantities). Alot of $$ out to get a minimum order (if I read their listings right), so hopefully there's others that want them.

Will know for sure tomorrow. I think alot depends on where they are made......if none in stock and COO is Asia.....might be awhile.

Southcoast85

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c10
Engine Size
google the two part numbers and see if they show up elsewhere.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would check out the scrap yards near you. This one that I somewhat frequent has at least 6 squares in it. They probably all have that connector sitting in them untouched.

Depending on how soon you need it, I have an extra cab and engine harness. The issue is I'm not sure which of my two sets i'm going to run and won't know for a few months. When that time comes, I won't need the other one.

Last edited:

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd love to buy a good used one if these dont pan out. Gotta also find what connectors go with them (I imagine the makers of new ones will know or carry them).

I got a reply back from the supplier - all they had was supplemental part numbers (the originals are all discontinued / obsolete). I asked them for spec sheets - said they only had one at the moment and it WAS the firewall side connector. Now to get the engine side.

I found a place that carries alot of their other connectors (must be thousands of them) - going to see if they can order me 1-2 of each to make sure its the real deal......without ordering dozens I dont need for bigger $$$.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had a lot of problems with the connector not making contact internally

I just cut the wires and used high quality connectors thru a grommet and eliminated the connector altogether

It’s just there for quick assembly at the factory

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a lot of problems with the connector not making contact internally

I just cut the wires and used high quality connectors thru a grommet and eliminated the connector altogether

It’s just there for quick assembly at the factory

Gotta admit to doing something similar. More than a few “WTF wire is this?” situations on my truck. So I also ran around that block more than once.

I’m sure I’ll regret it when I have to pull the cab off for painting / powdering the frame lol

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
There are a number of different ways to do this. I worked in the aircraft industry and AMP makes some awesome connectors. The second picture looks promising and you could pin it anyway you want and eliminate unused wires or add to it. The first picture those plugs come in several configurations and if you were worried about security of your truck just disconnect it quick twist off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes