Browne/White wire issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyclosetguy

Reaction score
First Name
Lawrence
Truck Year
1977 1978 1980
Truck Model
C10 C30 P30
Engine Size
350 454
Having a issues with the 8 ohm or 10 ohm brown/white wire in my truck. No issues up to the other day when it burnt the plastic around the wire. Have factorey wire diagram book so chased wires and corrected anything I saw. Had the fuse/connector block off the firewall on both sides. this is the wire on a 1980 that goes to the steering column and is hooked together with the orange wire. They did change this up a little on the next years or so. Have the complete harness from a 1983 and they moved the wires around a little.
After correcting the wire issues - the brown/white wire - the solid wire - is still getting warm to hot. Do I have a short under the hood ? The gauge doesn't show a charge ?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
What are these wires doing exactly?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Having a issues with the 8 ohm or 10 ohm brown/white wire in my truck. No issues up to the other day when it burnt the plastic around the wire. Have factorey wire diagram book so chased wires and corrected anything I saw. Had the fuse/connector block off the firewall on both sides. this is the wire on a 1980 that goes to the steering column and is hooked together with the orange wire. They did change this up a little on the next years or so. Have the complete harness from a 1983 and they moved the wires around a little.
After correcting the wire issues - the brown/white wire - the solid wire - is still getting warm to hot. Do I have a short under the hood ? The gauge doesn't show a charge ?

Looks like you have a bad resistor wire for the alternator. could have fried from a bad alternator,short in the engine compartment or after nearly 40 years of cycling the aluminum wire just gave up. Mine fried in my first truck and i had smoke rolling out of the dash:flame:. I have not seen a source for that type of wire. I would recommend replacing it with normal non resistor wire but you will have to run it through a light bulb/idiot light, the dash light peanut bulbs seem to put the rite resistance in the circuit. . When i rewired my current truck i wire it through an idiot light. It's actually kinda nice have a gauge and a light.

Chevyclosetguy

Reaction score
First Name
Lawrence
Truck Year
1977 1978 1980
Truck Model
C10 C30 P30
Engine Size
350 454
Thanks - it's what I did found another harness for the wire - the only source I found were a few 1983 up trucks. GM moved that wire to another spot and ran it to the fuse block - and had it fused. Had the alternator checked out and it was okay. Still maybe suspect the amp gauge but haven't tested it or found a replacement. Not sure what it's purpose is - it is hooked to the orange wire that is at the starter switch which attaches to the steering column. When I ran the new wire I put a in line fuse. When disconnected - and the key lock is off - it shows a grounded per my meter. With the motor running and the fuse still not connected - it shows no ground. Might be looking at that switch on the column. Is it not funny after all these years it just shows up - the truck is a clean two brother owned truck I acquired. Thanks for the help !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL