Broken lower kingpin grease fittings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coal creek Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
Looking for any suggestions from the wise folks on this forum.

Both lower kingpin grease fittings on a Dana 60 front axle are sheared off. I don't know how long they have been like this. Things don't get too rusty in Colorado, so I think I should be able to back out the broken fittings. Should I just back out the broken zerks, replace them, pump in grease and hope for the best? Or is there anything else I should do? I assume taking apart the lower kingpin plate is a big deal.

Do those zerk back-out tools work well? I also read that I could hammer in a #2 square drive bit and back it out that way.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They should come right out with an easy-out. Imho, the square type tend to work better at removing broken fittings.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
One of my uppers was broken. Just used an EZ out and installed a new fitting. Grease everything and check the play in the King pins. If it's OK I'd just run it.

Coal creek Chris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
Thanks bucket and Craig. It is likely that these have been broken for years, so hopefully some fresh grease in there will be enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115