Bringing back old paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83K20

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Im trying to bring back this paint on this truck so it has a little shine to it. My problem is I don’t know exactly where to start. I plan on buying a small electric polisher but don’t know what compounds or polish to buy to do it right the first time. I plan on practicing on an old tailgate first to see if I can actually make it look good before I do the truck so I don’t mess it up. I would like y’all opinion on what works good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yeah dude.
Use rubbing compound but the trick is to only do it half as much as you think you oughta and use twice as much compound as you think you should.

Trust me! That's sound ad-vice.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
a buddy back in the 90's used boat polish to bring back a chevelle. Surprised me how well it did. Probably no difference between the products you've shown and boat polish, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
https://www.texbrite.com/shop/auto-...ers/body-shop/body-shop-safe/perfect-compound

I used this compound when I had my detail shop and it works great with a variable speed buffer with a wool pad. Those orbital buffers are good for waxing after you buffed it with compound. I had better luck with the turtle wax compound than meguairs compound. It seemed to leave deposit spots that I had to go back and remove by hand after buffing with buffer(and yes I know how to use a variable speed buffer) where the turtle wax compound didn't do that. When I get ready to do mine I'm gonna get the texbrite compound because it's a much better product. A little more $ but you'll get much better results. Then follow it with their cherry wet wax which is also a very good cleaner wax that goes on and off very easy.

ABINIDI

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30 3+3
Engine Size
6.2L diesel Banks Turbo
So i am doing the same thing to my 84 crew cab dually. Thing probably never has had a buff job ever, tons of oxidation, stains, etc. Its Indian brown and shows a lot. Been sitting in sun for last 5 yrs. Dry as hell...

What i did was buy the Harbor freight DA random orbit sander, it was like $70, and ordered some Chemical guys Hexcore( the best ) buffer pads off of amazon, ( harbor freight ones fell apart like first hour, total junk ) and am using the Meguires Ultimate compound to get rid of oxidation/"cutting", then going back over it again with the DA using the meguires Show car glaze for the polish, using a white buffer pad.
Its amazing how much better the hood looks...day and night difference. The DA is a very good investment.

Meguires 105 is about the same as the Ultimate, but the Ultimate is only like $12 a bottle, half the price, and unless you are a professional auto detailer, you wont notice the difference.

I tried the Turtle Wax rubbing compound at first since it was cheap, it worked pretty ok, but used the Ultimate compound and you can tell the difference, Meguires is just better...

If you use a buffer like those on the pictures, they may work fine for you, not sure of how they work. Youtube those models and see what other people say. Whatever you get make sure that it does Random Orbit or you will swirl the hell out of the paint...

Lookup some YouTube videos on how to use a buffer, what chemicals to use, etc. Look up the guy from Dallas Paint correction and Auto Detail...a lot of good info from him.

50dan

Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For something like this I would only use 3M Perfect It. They make a cutting compound and polishes that work better than the run of the mill Meguires and other store bought brands. And get the Harbor Freight dual action polisher! It works great and the pads are very reasonable. Finish with the ultra fine polish on a foam pad. Keep it moving and don’t stay in one spot!!!! These older vehicles you will burn through the paint!!!

Amazon has good deals on these products just do some research and see what you think might work best for your application. But 3M is the way I would go!

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
How bad is the paint? Wanna post come close up shots of the bad spots?

My 79 Trans Am had a goofball paint job where a small spot had rust repair then the goofball primed over the whole sail panel and upper quarter panel. I'm using 3M Super Duty compound to remove the old paint and its doing a great job. Its also removing surface imperfections of the original paint and bringing back a nice white color. Its showing how yellowed the paint has gotten over almost 40 years. After the car is cut with the compound I'm going to go over it again with a polishing compound to remove any swirls left from the rubbing compound. A nice wax after that and you should be golden.

I didnt use a dual action but I am using harbor freight 7" variable speed polisher with a set of foam pads I bought on amazon. The proper pad and proper compound will make the job easier. Just be careful around body lines as you can wear the paint off. Smart idea trying the tailgate also. The pads arent that cheap so make sure you wash em when you're done and they will last you a while. I've used mine now on 3 different cars with great results.

Rusty hit the nail with his advice. Dont go trying to do the whole panel at once and keep your pad wet with compound. Use painters tape and newspaper to keep the moldings and window belts clean. I hate compound smudge left over from a detail job.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Found this on youtube for some motivation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

illmanners

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Before you start this process, you have to ask yourself if this is going to be a "one-shot deal," or will you be correcting paint on vehicles into the foreseeable future, because this can get expensive........That being said, one of the advantages of using A DA or Random Orbital polisher is that it's almost impossible to burn or "rub through" the paint, especially if you are new to the polishing process. With a standard circular polisher and either a wool or foam polishing pad, you can be into the primer in a hurry using rubbing compounds, aggressive paint correction products and some semi-aggressive pressure on the polisher. In most cases, I start with a really complete wash job to ensure I've removed all of the dirt and grime, especially in the nooks and fender/hood/quarter-panel cracks so that vibration of the polisher won't break any of that stuff loose, and grind it into the paint. Next step is Meguiars 105 Ultra-Cut Compound (see http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/M105) for reasons. If that clears it up and I have a satisfactory shine as a finished product, I move to a good protecting wax...lots of choices out there; personally, I like both Meguiar's and Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Souveran. Pinnacle is $pendy, but really looks fantastic, especially on dark surfaces. Bear in mind, waxes and polishes are pretty subjective and a matter of personal preference. I'd suggest using a wax that has a Carnuba wax base as Carnuba is known for its protective qualities. Harbor Freight polishing pads, either wool or foam, are less than desirable. Lake Country pads work well and if cleaned and maintained, will outlast most other brands. Hope that helps and good luck as we all like to see our Squarebodies sporting lots of shine...

Zoomalot

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado Shorty
Engine Size
350 Ram Jet
Unless your going into the detailing business and need to polish multiple trucks in 1 day, stay away from the bigger is
best polishers! Griot's makes a GREAT 3" Orbital that does a great job, just takes a bit longer but more detailed.
Also you will be thankful for not heaving around a 100 lb. brut for 10 hrs.
Do not use Wool pads. 3M perfect-it is more expensive but well worth the money (end result ). Stick with one system.
I completely disagree with the Carnuba Wax being best! They, in my opinion do not last even a fraction of the time
of a Top-Line synthetic like Mequires Ultimate Wax. A fair number of people inquire as to what paint finish I use.
Proof's in the Pudding.

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
Buy a decent random orbital. Porter cable is a good one (and will last forever) w/ cutting pad & polishing pad as well. Do NOT attempt a rotary buffer w/out experience or you will regret it.
Almost anything off the shelf will make it shine but the best result will come from proper preparation. Wash properly as mentioned above. Follow with a clay bar and rub the surface smooth keeping the surface wet with a soapy mix so the clay will slide. Make the clay into a thin pancake shape. frequently fold the clay into itself and re-shape it during use You'll be amazed at the **** that comes off. Use cutting pad w/ any cutting compound and high speed on the orbital.Repeat with a quality polish/wax and fine pad. !/2 speed on the polisher in a cross pattern Do it in the shade & you've got it made.

83K20

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
Thanks for all the info guys. I haven’t bought anything yet but I will get some close up pictures Wednesday or Thursday when I’m back near the truck

83K20

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20
Engine Size
How bad is the paint? Wanna post come close up shots of the bad spots?

Here are some closer pics. I think the worst parts would be the hood and sides above the grey that have been in the sun. I believe the grey and bottom blue could just be polished and waxed. I did take a pressure washer to the hood and got a lot of crud off today.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Before you start this process, you have to ask yourself if this is going to be a "one-shot deal," or will you be correcting paint on vehicles into the foreseeable future, because this can get expensive........That being said, one of the advantages of using A DA or Random Orbital polisher is that it's almost impossible to burn or "rub through" the paint, especially if you are new to the polishing process. With a standard circular polisher and either a wool or foam polishing pad, you can be into the primer in a hurry using rubbing compounds, aggressive paint correction products and some semi-aggressive pressure on the polisher. In most cases, I start with a really complete wash job to ensure I've removed all of the dirt and grime, especially in the nooks and fender/hood/quarter-panel cracks so that vibration of the polisher won't break any of that stuff loose, and grind it into the paint. Next step is Meguiars 105 Ultra-Cut Compound (see http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/M105) for reasons. If that clears it up and I have a satisfactory shine as a finished product, I move to a good protecting wax...lots of choices out there; personally, I like both Meguiar's and Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Souveran. Pinnacle is $pendy, but really looks fantastic, especially on dark surfaces. Bear in mind, waxes and polishes are pretty subjective and a matter of personal preference. I'd suggest using a wax that has a Carnuba wax base as Carnuba is known for its protective qualities. Harbor Freight polishing pads, either wool or foam, are less than desirable. Lake Country pads work well and if cleaned and maintained, will outlast most other brands. Hope that helps and good luck as we all like to see our Squarebodies sporting lots of shine...

Great post, thank you sir.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Could one use this same process for polishing aluminum rims? Maybe first use the correct aluminum polish to help cut through the heavy oxidation?
Is this how to polish aluminum until it looks like chrome?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin