Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Howdy225

Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 SB
Howdy y'all! I'm semi new to the world of squares. I don't know much about 'em, but I'm learning as I go. I still have lots to learn, especially with wiring.

My sister bought an '84 K5 a few weeks ago and the drivers side tail/brake light ain't working to good. Hit a bump, it works, hit another, stops working. I found the wiring diagram, but not sure how to go about fixing it. I'm pretty sure its just a bad ground. Any suggestions? Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.
Check the grounds, and also the connector on the driver's side just in front of the rear bumper.
Also check for a previous owner hacking into wiring for a trailer plug.

Murf

Reaction score
First Name
leroy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K10
Engine Size
Check bulb receptacle, my 86 was the same and I had to find a new taillight assembly. These are the same as Jeep in those years.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Howdy y'all! I'm semi new to the world of squares. I don't know much about 'em, but I'm learning as I go. I still have lots to learn, especially with wiring.

My sister bought an '84 K5 a few weeks ago and the drivers side tail/brake light ain't working to good. Hit a bump, it works, hit another, stops working. I found the wiring diagram, but not sure how to go about fixing it. I'm pretty sure its just a bad ground. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I would honestly check the bulb, socket, everything related ot your pedal switch because hitting a bump could make a rear bulb connectivity issue come and go, and the same to be said for a switch connector or a loose ground etc

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. I would check the rear body ground for corrosion, looseness, or even rust. Then check the sockets and wiring to the sockets for chaffing and touching the body.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I agree with all of this. Most likely problem is going to be the connector assembly and the ground that is right there on the body inside the taillight housing opening

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
OP the screws that hold the tail lights are #8 and 1 inch long, if you end up stripping or ruining any in the process. If you needthe things that they screw into, harbor freight has U nuts in a kit with #8 u nuts but you would need to buy screws separate. I used phillips since I just neeeded SOMETHING of the same size/head type to replace mine. I had square, torx, stripped out ___, phillips, standard, and hex along with rust on mine. lol.
your sockets look different but heres the ground mentioned. see the wire on the bed?

Attachments

• 20200206_153348.jpg
    20200206_153348.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 65

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard from East Tennessee.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size

Howdy225

Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 SB

Good news y'all! We got the tail/brake light working. Turns out it wasn't a bad ground. (We checked them all) It was a diesel when the previous owner got it and he swapped it to gas and didn't clean anything when he did it, so the fuse box on the firewall was slap full of grease and was causing problems. Sprayed it with carb cleaner, works fine for now. Sister may replace the box later down the road. Thanks for the help y'all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat