Bread truck 350?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hi, new here I have a question. I used to have a 50k mile 1970s 350 out of a bread truck. This engine factory had more compression and had a ton of low to mid range power. All I know is I can’t seem to find every exact part for this engine I used to own and I’m trying to build one just like it. Any ideas for parts or literature info on it?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Many medium duty small blocks were factory equipped with a 2 barrel carb. or a smaller 4 barrel. This alone would account for the better low end performance. Also the truck you remember could also have been geared lower.

Welcome to the forum!

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Yeah your basic small block 350 was really quite similar for about 20 years with little difference other than intake manifold for a 2 barrel, sometimes a work duty cam or there is a chance it probably had 4.10's.

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
The cam and internals were different than stock

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
The accessories on the outside weren’t stock either in fact the only thing I can say was stock was the 010 cast iron 350 block. Don’t know original carb and intake it had an Edelbrock 600cfm 4-barrel and Performer intake when I got it

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The cam and internals were different than stock

I think what was different about them is that they had forged cranks and often a 4 bolt block so over the long run they were very durable, especially for the abuse that was heaped upon them, as often seen in dump trucks and other industrial engines. They didn't necessarily make a lot more power, especially for peak power numbers or anything, but they were cammed and had an intake that would basically ensure you seldom had a need to rev beyond 4500 RPM (or perhaps even lower if I am not mistaken).

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Hi, new here I have a question. I used to have a 50k mile 1970s 350 out of a bread truck. This engine factory had more compression and had a ton of low to mid range power. All I know is I can’t seem to find every exact part for this engine I used to own and I’m trying to build one just like it. Any ideas for parts or literature info on it?

What are you actually trying to accomplish? What info are you looking for? If you are trying to build an engine, you can build one anymore that will be double or triple the power of anything that came from the factory in the 70's for dirt cheap. If you are going to put aftermarket parts on it anyways, you can basically set it up however you want by selecting good heads that match your application and a good cam that also matches your needs.

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I had this engine in my younger days, the build would just be like reliving my younger years is all, so I’d need it to be as period correct as possible.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The p30 platform trucks shared the same engine as a c/k truck fwiw and the model designation was LS9, run from 1969 up until around 1986, so the difference you probably felt had everything to do with gearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell