Brass Synchro Ring in Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This 208c I am rebuilding is missing the keys, snap rings and the brass synchro ring. I have read that some did not use these items - something about manual vs auto hubs. No idea. Before I delay reassembling this again while I spend more $ I dont have on a synchro ring, does ANYONE know if this is true (that some didn't have them)? The vids out there tearing these apart are only semi-helpful.....all either missing details or just showing them taken apart in whole just to replace seals or bearings.

I dont have $1700 for a reman but for the total lack of know-how about them out there, thats about the only option.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I could maybe see one for manual hubs not using the synchro ring, as it was only used to bring the front driveline and diff up to speed when shifting a truck with auto-lock hubs into 4wd from an unlocked state. That feature would be totally unused with manual locking hubs.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I don't think there's a difference, but maybe they get eliminated in rebuilds or hot rodding with manual hubs.

I'm fairly certain I have the factory manual but it's been years since I did my rebuilds. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow at work.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That'd be great Ox. Only diagrams I have found have exploded views but no legends to tell me what they are. When I pulled the hubs there was alot of parts missing from side to side. No idea if this was some boob trying to mod it or did they break something and were trying to fudge it to make it work again.

Truck had like 80k on it and the gears all are in excellent shape. No idea what went on but am pretty sure this 4WD didn't work.

Its one thing to try and figure something out you never did before...another when parts are missing or jury-rigged on something you never did before.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Maybe this will help...

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Glad I could help.

One thing to watch is the planetary carrier. They develop cracks at the end of the welds. It's the major weak point in a 208.

Good luck with the build.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
I converted from OE Auto Hubs to Warn Aftermarket Manual hubs and there is no brass synchro ring inside these units.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota