Brand new quadrajet untunable!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexC20

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 cu in.
Hey everyone, I have a 78 long bed with a non modified 350, found out the q-jet that came on it had leaking throttle shafts so I went and got a refurbished one from TomCo. Put it on, had bad problems with it like the needle was missing the hanger and the float level was at 1/8 inch, I fixed everything that they didn't put in and got the truck running somewhat better. Brand new fuel pump but has too much fuel pressure so I got a regulator to go along with it. Basically my problem is- I can turn the mixture screws to get 18-20 inHG but the mixture screws are screwed out roughly 8 turns and the idle set screw is barely touching the tab for the throttle. What are some things to look at to maybe fix this? I'm completely stuck and dont know what the next course of action is, I'm getting discouraged because I bought this thing so I wouldnt have to dump big bucks into anymore modern cars with computer b.s.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
modified cam with long overlap that you don't know about?????

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
If the curb idle set screw is barely touching the throttle, then make sure ALL vacuum ports are used and if some are not used, make sure these are plugged properly.

(this coming from someone who care barely tune their own carb................:confused:)

Last edited:

AlexC20

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 cu in.
The only way to check if theres a hot cam in there is take off the timing set, right? All my extra vacuum ports are plugged I only need the vacuum advance and the vacuum choke to the air cleaner. And for anyone who knows, does this year of truck have a gas tank vent? If that were plugged wouldnt it be a spot to check? I've done everything from resealing intake manifold, new carb, new fuel pump,aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, roughly 50 hours of being in parking lots with a tach, vacuum gauge and timing light hooked up looking like a crazy person especially here in Oregon. If theres no vacuum leaks its gotta be fuel related theres a reason behind going through 2 FPR's and my pump is still putting out 7psi of fuel pressure. I know the float level in the carb is correct and I believe all the metering rods are correct for the application. I called the place I got the carb from and told them it's not working correctly and I want a new one for warranty. What are some things to check before the new carb gets here in a few weeks?

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
While a q-jet does like a lower fuel pressure, if that was what was causing your problems I don't think you would have to turn out your mix screws 8 turns. I think you would actually have to turn the screws in to limit the fuel being pulled into the motor via the idle circuits because the high pressure would over power the floats and over fill the bowls dumping extra fuel into the motor.

What do you have your timing set to? Do you have your vacuum advance hooked up to ported or manifold vacuum?

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Check out Cliff's High Performance. I'd call him up and order a rebuild kit from him. His are set up for ethanol fuels and they should be able to help you out on metering rods and jet sizes, probably right over the phone. I'd order his Q-jet book, too.

I've rebuilt two Q-jets in my life, both for my '76 Corvette:

#1, original q-jet, with parts store rebuild kit and without Cliff's book. Disaster, ran like crap. Pretty sure I didn't have float level set right, among other problems. Did NOT re-bush the primary throttle shaft.

#2, bought an Edelbrock (they bought the rights from GM at some point) q-jet core and rebuilt with Cliff's performance kit and followed step by step in his book, including re-bushing the primary throttle shaft. Ran like a top from the get-go with almost no tuning needed. That was six years ago and I've barely touched it since then. I still have the original carb and it's on my list to rebuild it the same way and go back to using it.

Q-jets seem to be super sensitive to float level and I remember being confused about the exact way and place to measure it. Good luck!

AlexC20

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 cu in.
Vacuum advance is hooked up to ported vacuum and my initial timing is set to 8 degrees BTDC. and thank you Daveo91burb! I'll check him out when I have the chance too and maybe give him a quick call!

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mine was hooked up to ported vacuum, changed to manifold, set initial timing to 6 degrees BTDC. Ran better. Then deleted EGR and man, runs the best I've had since purchase in 2015. Removing EGR did raise timing to almost 8 degrees BTDC. Left it and still runs great, starts much better too.

AlexC20

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 cu in.
So I'll try to switch to manifold vacuum and retime the engine. When I bought the truck I wanted to keep everything totally original and maybe I'm asking to much! And a really really dumb question, if x-amount of ports on the carb is manifold vacuum then it will always see manifold vacuum, does that make all the ports that are suppose to see ported vacuum see the exact same value of vacuum or can they see different vacuum readings between them?

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Manifold or ported vacuum should have no bearing on setting initial timing as they should be unplugged when setting.

But you already knew that.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I ordered a carb from National Carburetors. Called and talked to a fellow named Eddie Obie. I told him all the build specs on my engine and he asked if I wanted fuel economy or high horsepower. He even wanted to know the trucks weight,gearing, what tranny and tranfer case, EVERYTHING!
It went on a 454 with Comp Cams 268H camshaft. All I had to do was adjust idle screw slightly and it got unbelieveable gas mileage with lots of low end torque.
National Carbs rebuild the bulk of carbs for the major auto stores.
I used to rebuild Q-jets but couldn't believe how good my carb turned out (sent my carb to him.)
Don't know if they still do that but I'd recommend calling them anytime you need a Q-jet And did I mention it was CHEAP? Forget the exact cost now but it was so cheap I chose not to do it myself since I wasn't dealing with a carb original to that engine and had no idea what jetting, etc. was in it.
Can't say enough good about their company.

ETA: I chose fuel economy.

Martimus

Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
qjet is 1 of the hardest carbs to set up out there.. You gotta start at the choke pull-off and work your way through the whole carb:
Engine cold, 1/8" drill bit opening on the choke plate, use a hand vacuum pump on the choke pull-off. Do not start engine.Adjust the choke plate by bending the linkage carefully that pulls it open. Check to see that the dog leg linkage is holding the secondary throttle plates shut snugly, adjust linkage to those by bending carefully as necessary. The choke pull-off controls idle speed until choke is fully opened. Adjust screw until primary throttle plate opens ever so slightly. Main idle screw on carb body should NOT be touching the throttle linkage yet. Turn mixture screws all the way in and back off 1.5 turns. The idea here is that that choke holds the secondaries shut till engine is warm, and it kicks the idle up a bit till it warms up. The choke pull-off is the key to the whole carb, its the computer. Start the engine. If you're way off on your choke pull-off idle setting, stop it immediately and make adjustments quickly before engine begins to warm up. It should step down a couple times until the throttle linkage reaches the main idle screw. Choke pull-off runs on manifold vacuum, not ported. Make sure the pull-off holds vacuum, just because its new dont mean its good. Make sure PCV valve, power brake booster check valve and booster itself are good. If its an automatic check vacuum hose to trans for fluid and/or vacuum leak. Check vaccum amplifier very carefully and under dash heater controls. It sounds like you have a vacuum leak and the carb is running on the main circuit instead of idle circuit. Start engine and get your idle on choke to about 1500 or so quick as you can, adjust choke plate slightly for smoothest running position.watch for the choke plate to slowly open on its own, do not rev motor or touch throttle. When choke is fully open,bump throttle and engine should drop down to idle on the main screw. Set base timing at correct idle speed with vacuum line off and plugged. Now climb up on motor and look down inside carb while engine is idling, if you see it slobbering drops of fuel, your rods are up off their seats most likely. Bend linkage accordingly. Secondaries should not open until choke plate is all the way open. Having fun yet? You cant see the inside of the secondaries while its running, but you can see the thing theyre hooked to and tell if its raised up as well. The idea here is the rods are all the way down on their seats until you step on the gas, then they allow the vacuum created inside the barrels to pull fuel through the passages into the barrels. The accel pump gives it a little headstart on the process. It should start to squirt the instant you give it the slightest gas, and continue to squirt all the way through the acceleration process. We dont want the secondaries opening too soon, so the pull-off controls that too. That should keep you busy for several days.

Idle circuit, then primary circuit, then secondary circuit for full throttle.
Oh and by the way, Qjets bought rebuilt these days tend to be way out of adjustment and have parts missing because very few people are left that actually know how to work on them. You might be better off to put the base plate off the new carb on your old one if it looks pretty much the same, but lots of adjustments to make and a special tool to hook up the choke rod lol.. If it were me, I would just put a new Holley 600 electric choke single feed vacuum secondary on it and be done.. As far as the whole float thing, its not a big deal. Either its flooding and youll see that very clearly lol or it will fall on its face when you tromp it. If it isnt doing either one of those things, youre close enough on the float level, needle, and seat. :)

Last edited:

ghopp24

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
just buy one from National Carburetors in Jacksonville, FL. Inexpensive, bulletproof, and If you have a problem just call and they are great at helping out. I got a O.E. replacement from them for my 86' and it starts faster than my new vehicles and pulls like its fuel injected.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
I swear the Jets are only supposed to be out like two turns.if that carb has.those fiber floats in the carb.they may be heavy from soaking up old crap.from the gas.the floats could be waited.and making a rich condition or flooding.get a eldlebrock.600 or 650 and electric choke and start driving and stop wrenching

AlexC20

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 cu in.
Martimus thank you for the write up! thats going to be the process i will do this weekend. i know the engine is suppose to be nice and cold and here in Oregon right now thats exactly how it is. ill keep your reply open while wrenching on the truck this weekend. i knew about bending rods and what not, even with my dad telling me about how to get Q-jets tuned i didnt think that bending rods and what not was actually a thing your suppose to do, but your now the millionth person to tell me about that process, so its probably time i take that into consideration

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL