Brake Rebuild on an R10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I am tired of hearing the squealing which only seems to be bad in my neighborhood, at night, and when there are people within earshot. Brakes are working great but everything looks original besides I'm sure the pads have been changed.

I bought rotors, pads, bearings, and seals because I mistakenly thought the previous owner had replaced the calipers already. I got the tires off and it looks like that was not the case, only the brake hoses going in to the back of the calipers were replaced.

I put the tires back on for now because I think I'm going to go ahead and grab calipers and I thought about just replacing the wheel hubs as well but I couldn't find the hubs anywhere. Should I just buy new studs and keep the hubs? What about flushing the brake fluid while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the newb questions, just trying to get as much done at one time as I can since I'm going to be taking everything apart anyway and this is my daily for putting around town.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The rotors were actually in better shape than I expected so I was also considering just keeping the new rotors and replacing the calipers only.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Is there a better place to post this? Too simple of a question possibly? I would really like to tackle this this weekend.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Only thing that will squeal thats brake related is the pads.Clean everything up and use a good brake spray on the backs of pads,I never use that gel or that silicone cream stuff.Its not a bad thing to flush brake fluid.If your calipers are not causing a pulling one way or another or smokin the pads I wouldnt change them

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Only thing that will squeal thats brake related is the pads.Clean everything up and use a good brake spray on the backs of pads,I never use that gel or that silicone cream stuff.Its not a bad thing to flush brake fluid.If your calipers are not causing a pulling one way or another or smokin the pads I wouldnt change them
Thanks, just to make sure I understand - are you suggesting to just change out the pads and clean the backs up or keep the existing pads on there and just clean them up? If it is driving me this crazy I can only imagine how much my neighbors love me lol.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks, just to make sure I understand - are you suggesting to just change out the pads and clean the backs up or keep the existing pads on there and just clean them up? If it is driving me this crazy I can only imagine how much my neighbors love me lol.
If you still have plenty of pad left I would clean them up and re spray the backs of them good.With the calipers I would clean up and grease the pins.Ive done these things between full brake jobs before with good results.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
CRC Disc Brake Quiet in a spray can is what I use.And use some brake cleaner on the rotor surfaces wont hurt to do either.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@TX87R10,

Sometimes that squeal is the "low pad indicator" that looks like a bracket that clips on the side of either the front pad or the back pad, I can't remember which. It sticks out towards the rotor and when the pad wears down enough it scraps against the rotor and makes that squeal. That could be part of the problem is the pads do need to be changed. And @Octane is right that sometimes the pads themselves will squeal against the rotor and, yes, that spray will quiet them down.
Also, if you have access to a pressure washer, or if not take your truck to a hand car wash, jack up each side at a time after taking the tire off and pressure wash the *ell out of the whole suspension. You'd be surprised how nice it looks afterwards. I am a big proponent to keeping your ride clean! Plain dirt causes a lot of problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat