Brake pedal goes to floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
The brakes only seem to work towards the end of the travel, in order to stop i usually have to fully depress the pedal to the floor. The pedal is also really soft with little resistance with the truck running. i'm not quite the smartest when it comes to brakes n the only thing i can think of trying is bleeding the brakes, so im just wondering what yall are thinking

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
Topping off the master cylinder and having someone help to bleed the brakes is a great place to start. Air in the system can cause you're symptoms.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Bleeding is a good idea, but my instant thought was bad master cylinder.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the master is full, it happened "overnight" and no work was preformed agree on the master.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
If the master is full, it happened "overnight" and no work was preformed agree on the master.
The master holds fluid and is always full, They have gotten worse with time it seems though. The brake booster line had duct tape on it but it didn't look like it was doing much so i removed it, after that they seemed worse lmao, could a leaking brake booster cause those same symptoms by chance?

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
2 person job. Have someone hold down the brake while you check out the brake hoses for swelling. Bleeding them is a good idea. What does the brake fluid look like? If it's brown I'd flush the entire system.

chevyfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10 Rwd P/U
Engine Size
4.3liter V6
2 person job. Have someone hold down the brake while you check out the brake hoses for swelling. Bleeding them is a good idea. What does the brake fluid look like? If it's brown I'd flush the entire system.
It is pretty dark almost looks like oil.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
The master holds fluid and is always full, They have gotten worse with time it seems though. The brake booster line had duct tape on it but it didn't look like it was doing much so i removed it, after that they seemed worse lmao, could a leaking brake booster cause those same symptoms by chance?
The way that I know to test a brake booster is to pump the brakes with the engine off, then while holding the brakes, start it up. The pedal should fall some small distance and then hold there.

If it does, the booster is in theory good, and in that example, the MC, too.

If your booster was not working you would have manual brakes and braking effort would be shall we say pronounced ? :Big Laugh:

Try flushing as per @Snoots which in essence also means bleeding as per @R Carnella and see if the pedal firms up.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A bad booster won't cause a low pedal, just the opposite. The pedal will be hard and high. OP says it's going to the floor. From the description, replace the master. Yes, flush the old fluid out. Be sure and check the adjustment of the drum brakes.

As a side note, brake fluid should be flushed/replaced every 2 years. I use a turkey baster and suck the fluid out of the master every spring. It doesn't get all of it out but is very easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell