Brake lights staying on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usnrcwo

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra
Engine Size
So, I've developed a new problem. When I stop the truck and turn it off, the back brake lights stay on. If I pump the brake pedal once, they shut off. If I forget, the battery drains. Any ideas what might be causing that? Some sort of common short? Appreciate any advice.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You probably need to adjust the brake switch. I bet next time the brake lines are on, if you lift up on the brake pedal the lights go out.

To adjust the switch, press the brake pedal down. Push the brake switch forward in the mounting clip. Release the brake, the switch may slip back a little in the bracket. That’s all there is to it. If the switch connector won’t stay in adjustment, you may need to replace it. The plastic splines sometimes get flattened or stripped. Or if you want to be really cheap, use a hose clamp on the switch.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I have the same problem. Sometimes when getting out of the truck my foot catches the brake pedal and lifts it up pushing the switch out of its bracket. I just ordered a new one from Rockauto that has jam nuts, only $8.

usnrcwo

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies! After the OU game, I'll take a look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dave84