Brake Kits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I am getting ready to completely go through the braking system and have a few questions. First question I think I know the answer to. Are the brakes specific to the year of the axle, or the year of the truck? My front axel is a Dana 44 from a 1974ish K10 truck. The body of the truck is an 86 D30. I don't want to get into a situation where where brake lines are a mix of SAE and ISO or anything stupid like that.

Second question is there anyone out there that makes a full brake replacement kit instead of having to buy everything piecemeal? Stock replacements are fine although I would love something from someone like Stoptech, Baer, Wilwood, etc. but I'm guessing they don't make stuff for the 4x4 variety of our truck. I'm looking to replace the following:
Rotors
Calipers
Pads
Flex lines (I prefer braided stainless).

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Since your truck has a mix of components it is important to order parts for the year and model of that component.

Looking at an old Rockauto ad they offer a Powerstop component kit for the front 1974 Dana axle:

Rockauto (click)

Here is a link that I started with a 1974 K10:

Rockauto site

You want to measure the rotor diameter and check that to the kit. All the light duty squares have D52 style pads but the rotors were different.

The rear brakes will be harder to match as there were many different drum diameters and brake shoe widths. GM advertized the old squares as having computer matched braking. This is where the shoe diameter and widths were made larger for the heavier trucks. You did not state if the rear axle was also a 1974 K10.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I actually went through the rear drums already. The front brakes are my main concern right now. Thanks for the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank