Bottled Fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
So I was reading some old threads and ran across these pictures from @sticman I wanted to ask ask him what fuel he was running, propane or CNG. Since it appears he hasn't been around for 6 years I'm sure I would not get a reply. My question is anyone else running bottled fuel in their square?

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
That's your basic propane setup...
Not really enough for a 454. It will run nice but power will drop after 3000 rpm. For anything bigger than a 383 you need two evaporators and two mixers. Evaporator = regulator. Mixer = carb.
Super low maintenance... cheap, clean. But to really make it valid you need compression... lots of it. Take full advantage of the high octane and :burnout:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Out of all this talk ive seen about usin "pane" where do you go to fill your truck and how do you do it??

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
That's your basic propane setup...
Not really enough for a 454. It will run nice but power will drop after 3000 rpm. For anything bigger than a 383 you need two evaporators and two mixers. Evaporator = regulator. Mixer = carb.
Super low maintenance... cheap, clean. But to really make it valid you need compression... lots of it. Take full advantage of the high octane and :burnout:

Yes, basic Impco system we had on a few of our fleet units back years ago, CNG fuel. Besides the high pressure regulator not shown in the engine compartment, the rest of the system looks the same as the units used for propane. CNG Impco systems have two regulators. Question in my mind, Minus the high pressure regulator would CNG components work with propane?

Out of all this talk ive seen about usin "pane" where do you go to fill your truck and how do you do it??

To fill your propane vehicle in our state you need to find a filling station that has the ability to measure the gallons transferred. The state wants tax by gallons of motor fuel. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, there are a few propane transfer stations that can fuel a vehicle.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Yes, basic Impco system we had on a few of our fleet units back years ago, CNG fuel. Besides the high pressure regulator not shown in the engine compartment, the rest of the system looks the same as the units used for propane. CNG Impco systems have two regulators. Question in my mind, Minus the high pressure regulator would CNG components work with propane?

To fill your propane vehicle in our state you need to find a filling station that has the ability to measure the gallons transferred. The state wants tax by gallons of motor fuel. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, there are a few propane transfer stations that can fuel a vehicle.
Your not too far from me

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Your not too far from me

There was a place right down the street from me before, it is a Wawa now. Suburban Propane has a few locations to fuel vehicles. Closest to me now is in Exton. They may only be for fleets. I have not researched this lately.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I fill my RV tanks off my house tank by weight, usually about 20lbs. As soon as liquid propane starts coming out of the bleeder screw I stop. Seems like a legit way to do it for trucks since it’s tax free and I only pay $1/gallon when I fill my tanks in July.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I fill my RV tanks off my house tank by weight, usually about 20lbs. As soon as liquid propane starts coming out of the bleeder screw I stop. Seems like a legit way to do it for trucks since it’s tax free and I only pay $1/gallon when I fill my tanks in July.

In Pennsylvania, land of road salt and high taxes, if I got caught doing that I would soon be at the courthouse trying to make bail.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
In Pennsylvania, land of road salt and high taxes, if I got caught doing that I would soon be at the courthouse trying to make bail.
How would anyone know? I don’t sign anything when I get my tanks filled exempting it from highway use. With diesel they put red dye in it, but propane is propane.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
There was a place right down the street from me before, it is a Wawa now. Suburban Propane has a few locations to fuel vehicles. Closest to me now is in Exton. They may only be for fleets. I have not researched this lately.
Ive heard of suburban!! I dont have a propane vehicle but i was just curious. Our forklifts at work are pane

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I imagine the laws are all over the map from State to State.
I'm north of the 49... still have to look for propane AUTO fill sites. There are tank fills everywhere. In BC we pay by the litre for auto pane and
by weight with cylinders, and you get hosed paying average $25 for $10 worth of gas.
I fill my bbq cylinders right of my truck tank.
Eventually at my new place I'll have the gas company truck deliver right to my house into 1000 gal or whatever tank. I'm running a pane fridge
and water heater. Wood cookstove with pane 'summer' burners. My electric bill will only be for LEDs and my welder and shop tools.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Question in my mind, Minus the high pressure regulator would CNG components work with propane?

Just guess it would be jet change. For example I converted a pane furnace to natural gas with a simple jet change. Maybe the term 'jet' is not
accurate... try orifice.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Just guess it would be jet change. For example I converted a pane furnace to natural gas with a simple jet change. Maybe the term 'jet' is not
accurate... try orifice.

That is what I was thinking also. Next question, going from propane to natural gas, which way did you go for the orifice (jet) change, larger or smaller?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54