Borg & Beck clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was having trouble with a Super T10 in my Chevelle. It worked fine until I drove it for 30 minutes or so. Then it would get hard to get into the next gear, and grind going in reverse. Sounded like a pilot bushing to me, even though it had a new one.
Pulled the trans and clutch, and the pilot bushing was fine, and speced out with input shaft.
Had me scratchin my head, till I noticed one leg of the clutch fork was slightly bent.
While I waited for the new fork to come in, I measured the 3 arms on the pressure plate as best as I could, with a straight edge and a feeler gauge.
One of them was 0.024" lower than the other 2.

Is that close enough, or should I file down the other 2?
The whole clutch assembly has less than an hour on it.

Customblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If the pressure plate is weak or if you have the wrong throwout bearing (it wont push it in all the way) thus, it will won't completely disengage the clutch disc causing symptoms such as this

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If the pressure plate is weak or if you have the wrong throwout bearing (it wont push it in all the way) thus, it will won't completely disengage the clutch disc causing symptoms such as this
The new Hays pressure plate is plenty strong. Had to get an aftermarket adjuster rod after the original one bent.
The flywheel is new, but a little thinner than stock, so I used a McLeod adjustable throwout bearing to get the 5°-7° angle on the fork.

I'm hoping I found the problem. One leg on the fork was just slightly bent. It took me awhile to find an original GM fork, but I've got it now. Just haven't had time to put it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400