Body work on my '86

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
A buddy of mine that is a body guy offered to help me fix my truck up enough to repaint it. At first I didn't think I'd ever take him up on it, but then this Coronavirus hit and I was left with a bunch of spare time on my hands.
I'd stop over to his shop with the truck during the day. He'd show me how to start pulling dents, and then I'd go home and pull them all. We had a few warped panels that needed shrinking, so that was next. Then came welding in replacement panels.....and so on.

You must be registered for see images attach

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
I was pretty crummy at it at first, and it took me a long time to accomplish anything. I got faster as I did more of it though. I ended up welding in 2 cab corners, one piece behind the RR wheel, and lots of holes that were in the door. Apparently it had had plenty of different mirrors on it over the years.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
Then came the body filler and sanding. I can't believe how many hours I sanded, filled, sanded again, filled again....I now know why body work is as expensive as it is. By the time I finished working my way around the truck I was way better at it. that made me unsatisfied with my previous work, so I started around the truck a second time.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
Not knowing what I was doing I headed back to my buddies place thinking I was done sanding. He said we were priming, it, which to me meant we were about to paint it. No so. It only meant we were going to be block sanding looking for more high and low spots. I gotta admit that I was feeling really deflated. They all got a kick out of it, and I was back to doing more sanding.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
After final priming, I took the doors and box off. You know that when you are changing colors you have lots of extra painting to do. So this allowed me to paint the areas that the painter didn't want to do. Carquest was able to make me up some rattle cans using the paint code I was going with. After a bunch more sanding and priming of those areas, I slabbed on some paint on it so the guy painting it only had to spay the outside.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
F Body Work !!! To much nope for me. Same, don't have the patience for it. Looks like you're doing a good job with it Joe.

I sorta wish you have better pics of that cab corner cut open though instead of the piece in the way. I'd like to see what's back there. I have to do that on mine.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I think that’s awesome that you have a friend that’s willing to show you a trade and that you’re willing do take the time to learn. This is a skill you’ll always have and no one can take from you. This is how the masters of a trade learn. I’m not knocking books or classroom learning, but this is old school and the only way to really learn a trade. Good for you and stick with it. Your truck is 100 times better than it was and you can say you did it!

I’m a mechanic and have no patience for body work. I do all the rebuilding of my square bodies but if they need paint, that’s someone else’s job lol
Ben

Paint guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Good for you for taking on the project. Its not rocket science, but it does take skill and patience to do it right. I am a career body man/painter and have done many many restoration projects. Which makes me laugh when people bitch at the costs.
I like that you now understand!

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
Good for you for taking on the project. Its not rocket science, but it does take skill and patience to do it right. I am a career body man/painter and have done many many restoration projects. Which makes me laugh when people bitch at the costs.
I like that you now understand!

It definitely takes skill and patience! After doing every panel on the truck I can say I'm a lot better now than when I started. however, I'm no expert, and probably never will be.
I'm not going to spray it. There's a guy up the road from me that does mostly classic cars. He has a show-winning GTO Judge and an 87 big block square body that he did. If my truck comes out half as good as his did then I'll be happy.
Joe

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Then came the body filler and sanding. I can't believe how many hours I sanded, filled, sanded again, filled again....I now know why body work is as expensive as it is. By the time I finished working my way around the truck I was way better at it. that made me unsatisfied with my previous work, so I started around the truck a second time.

Nice job, I put rear quarters on my 83 K5 the other weekend. Had some free time myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL