Blue Betty, my 87 with 60K.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Now that I have some of the initial bugs worked out of her, and have somewhat familiarized myself with the forum, I guess it's time I officially introduced myself.

I am a 30 year-old father of two boys, 4 and 1. I let my wife's 98 Subaru Outback wear out to the point I didn't feel like dealing with replacing the $1500 worth of suspension parts to reinspect a car with 200K on it... so I started looking for something new.

As a commercial plumber, I normally have a work truck to run. But when I need to pick the boys up from the babysitter, or the truck is in for service, we need a second vehicle. Having personally owned a VW Beetle and Volvo 240 in the past, I was familiar with quirky old cars... but just didn't have the gusto or the blessing from the wife to deal with an old VW or Volvo again.

Enter Blue Betty, a 1987 Blue and White Suburban parked on the back row of a used car dealership on the other side of town. I had stopped to look at a couple other vehicles on the lot, an extended cab truck and a Ford Escape... something I could haul the kiddos and tools in, something that would have space and versatility.

After a second stop to the dealer on my way home from work (and honestly, after a few drinks at the bar before that) on a Friday... I took it for a test drive and internally decided that "It will be mine".

You must be registered for see images

Just under 60,000 miles, nicely repainted, nothing but a little surface rust on the frame and some stains on the carpet... it's a survivor.

Originally owned by what looks to be an old lady, Beatrice M. Toms (hence, the name Blue Betty) it is a solid runner. I have had some issues with it, which have resulted in new tires, fuel pump, and heater core :shitsweak:... but she is a sweet old lady that I am looking forward to tweaking and taking care of.

As an aside, I am co-author/artist of a blog, The Beatnik Brotherhood which specializes in kustom kulture renderings of various cars and such. My brother just did a photochop and write-up on Blue Betty, so check it out!

Thanks for all the advice and great resources that this blog has to offer, I look forward to getting to know all of you!

TheBlue'Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 10
Engine Size
Ugh.

I'm still having trouble, apparently, embedding photos into posts. Anyone care to explain this? I click on the mountain/sunset icon, add the link to the photo from my flickr.com account... it has the
things on both sides... but then when I post, it comes up looking like this,

I can embed links just fine doing it this way...

picture.php

Guess it works if I have the link from photos I have uploaded to the forum in an album. Guess I will try that for all my Burb pics, but what if I am yanking other reference photos from the web?

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
In your first post the issue is that you're not including the file name in the link that you're putting in your IMG tags. You have to include the .jpg file in the path for the IMG tags to work

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy! (officially)

1ATony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Man that's pretty low miles for that Suburban. Great looking truck.

Tony

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Love that burb! Welcome!

Mr Clean