best way to keep oem speedo with VSS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangOl'dodge

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3 tbi
whats the best way to keep the oem speedo appearance when i have a vss style transmission?

4.8 swapped 87 c10 with nv4500 transmission, need to get a speedo on the go this year... wondering what i can do? im hearing mixed reviews on the cable X box from abbott, not interested in the full cluster package from dakota digital mostly because of the price it costs by the time i get it to canada, dont really want to cut up the stock guages to stuff a white autometer guage in there... anyone come up with a decent solution? or know where i could find an electric speedo out of a suburban? been looking for almost a year now and still nothing locally.

has anyone found an aftermarket guage you can modify or scrap and put the guts inside our factory speedo? mine is KM/H and i think its registered for 140 km/h on the guage, i assume an aftermarket one would have to be spaced the same as our oem one between 0-10, 10-20, 20-30.... and so on for it to work? i have hp tuners if that helps any.

dougbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500/nv4500/np241c/33x12.50x16/4.10 Gears 14BFF
Engine Size
5.3L - 2002 Silverado, rebuilt top end, long tube headers
whats the best way to keep the oem speedo appearance when i have a vss style transmission?

4.8 swapped 87 c10 with nv4500 transmission, need to get a speedo on the go this year... wondering what i can do? im hearing mixed reviews on the cable X box from abbott, not interested in the full cluster package from dakota digital mostly because of the price it costs by the time i get it to canada, dont really want to cut up the stock guages to stuff a white autometer guage in there... anyone come up with a decent solution? or know where i could find an electric speedo out of a suburban? been looking for almost a year now and still nothing locally.

has anyone found an aftermarket guage you can modify or scrap and put the guts inside our factory speedo? mine is KM/H and i think its registered for 140 km/h on the guage, i assume an aftermarket one would have to be spaced the same as our oem one between 0-10, 10-20, 20-30.... and so on for it to work? i have hp tuners if that helps any.

I have been working on my gauge cluster too trying to figure a way to use VSS. My final solution was finding a 91 suburban cluster on ebay last thursday and it should arrive on wednesday - these can be difficult to find though ----

BUT

in my research I came across this youtube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0YgkIC6OVs&list=PLoNvmJKkLPn6XfCoxbi8_yyTrmrs3GULD

where he uses Speedhut speedo (that takes VSS) and mounts it in an old faceplace of the oem speedo. Did the same with a Speedhut Tach. I thought this was a great way to do it, as the SpeedHut speedo is about $210. That can get you a speedo pretty cheap and looks very close to OEM.

my post on this is at http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showpost.php?p=339369&postcount=319

dougbert

dangOl'dodge

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3 tbi
cool thanks for all the info. really the only thing that i am considering as of now is the cable x box or a 91 suburban cluster, what are you guys searching for on ebay to find the vss cluster? i never see them come up for sale.. what do they usually go for?

i really want to have a stock cluster with a KM/H speedo, big tach and fuel guage in tach or over where the clock is. this combo seems very rare.

dougbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500/nv4500/np241c/33x12.50x16/4.10 Gears 14BFF
Engine Size
5.3L - 2002 Silverado, rebuilt top end, long tube headers
cool thanks for all the info. really the only thing that i am considering as of now is the cable x box or a 91 suburban cluster, what are you guys searching for on ebay to find the vss cluster? i never see them come up for sale.. what do they usually go for?

i really want to have a stock cluster with a KM/H speedo, big tach and fuel guage in tach or over where the clock is. this combo seems very rare.

I just was searching ebay and came on the 91 surburban cluster, asking price was $174 + $20 shipping. I got it. large fuel gauge no tach

then I saw a 81-87 with large tach and tach in clock slot, it finally sold at $158. Speedo was cable, but in my prior post the speedo could be replaced with a SpeedHut speedo.

Rare yes, but search everyday

dougbert

dangOl'dodge

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3 tbi
there is one on there now for $120 usd. has 219,000 miles on the odo and is in mph. large fuel guage, clock delete... do you know if the faceplate on the speedo can be swapped for KM/H? both are registered for 140km/h or 85mph so needle would techincally be in the correct position at any speed, looks like the faceplate is held on with 2 screws or rivets from what i can see? does the needle just pop off?

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just was searching ebay and came on the 91 surburban cluster, asking price was $174 + $20 shipping. I got it. large fuel gauge no tach

then I saw a 81-87 with large tach and tach in clock slot, it finally sold at $158. Speedo was cable, but in my prior post the speedo could be replaced with a SpeedHut speedo.

Rare yes, but search everyday

dougbert

I can't believe they go for almost 200bucks! I've got a cluster from a 90 k5 and a 241c lined up to pick up tomorrow holding my breath he still has it!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
there is one on there now for $120 usd. has 219,000 miles on the odo and is in mph. large fuel guage, clock delete... do you know if the faceplate on the speedo can be swapped for KM/H? both are registered for 140km/h or 85mph so needle would techincally be in the correct position at any speed, looks like the faceplate is held on with 2 screws or rivets from what i can see? does the needle just pop off?

Sounds identical to the one I have but that's not mine listed on ebay.

Attachments

• 91BurbUnder 024.jpg
    91BurbUnder 024.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 364

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Damn, I need to start grabbing them again, I see at least 1 on my trips to junkyards.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And I need to get down there and DIY yard hopping with you. Seems like much better selection there. Of course I guess you still have to pay for stuff to get it out huh? Nevermind. I'm not that good looking anymore.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad

It took me forever to sell vss claster listed for $45 last year. They should be available for $50 range, just have to check relatively often

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
And I need to get down there and DIY yard hopping with you. Seems like much better selection there. Of course I guess you still have to pay for stuff to get it out huh? Nevermind. I'm not that good looking anymore.

We can take my daughters. I got a discount with them the last time. :party36:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We can take my daughters. I got a discount with them the last time. :party36:

Nice !!! One of these days I might have some cash. I'd like to take a trip down there about every 3 months or so and pick up parts for resale.

RThiel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
I picked one up on ebay a few months ago from a '91 K5. I searched hard and came upon the listing with no picture. Nabbed it for $75 and free shipping.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I picked one up on ebay a few months ago from a '91 K5. I searched hard and came upon the listing with no picture. Nabbed it for $75 and free shipping.

The dreaded take advantage of the seller cuz he's to damn dumb to write a proper ad. That's how I stole my 85 K1500 for $500 that had a new crate motor with less than 10,000 miles, a brand spanking Eddy EPS intake, Carb, Headers and they bought a brand new battery for it on my to go see it cuz it wouldn't start. The kid had an ad on Craigslist, no pics, said, 85 GMC 4x4 bad transmission. $600. That's it. I started emailing him, asking all the important questions, had him send me pics and I was SOLD instantly. You snoop out those ads where people can't write one up, or spell and you can get good deals. BTW, text and words don't sell. Pictures sell.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84