Best way to discreetly use iPhone for music via USB or bluetooth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savage

1 post per year
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV M1008
Engine Size
6.2L/Th400/NP208
I'm currently using a Bose bluetooth speaker for music in my CUCV and I think it's time to install real speakers in the truck. However, I really dislike the look of a modern stereo in these trucks, so I'm wondering what the best way to do this while trying to keep a stock look is? I only listen to music via my iPhone, so all I need is a USB or bluetooth connection to the speakers (speakers would likely be in the doors and behind the bench seat).

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Can't quite help but will tell you what I do.
The 85 GMC was special ordered without a radio. I installed a two post radio back when I got it. The location is the oem hole in the dash. I have two speakers behind the seat.
This past summer, I got a bluetooth device that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. It connects to my phone, has a usb socket, and has a micro sd card slot. I got a 16 gig sd card and loaded it with music. I have the radio tuned to a frequency that is dead in my area so it picks up the bluetooth device.
I have all the music I want but, I do have the ash tray down to plug the device in. Got the device from amazon. There are dozens of choices but you have to hunt to find one with the sd card slots.
Good luck

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
They do have compact Bluetooth receivers you can buy and basically install anywhere. All you'd have to do is then run power and the wire for the speakers to it. Then it'd be out of site and out of mind.

Savage

1 post per year
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV M1008
Engine Size
6.2L/Th400/NP208
They do have compact Bluetooth receivers you can buy and basically install anywhere. All you'd have to do is then run power and the wire for the speakers to it. Then it'd be out of site and out of mind.
I didn't know that. Gonna look into doing this, thanks.

Savage

1 post per year
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV M1008
Engine Size
6.2L/Th400/NP208
Anyone audio savvy willing to throw some quick recommendations for speakers/amp/bluetooth receiver? Otherwise I guess I'll just look at whatever seems decent on Amazon. Overall price doesn't concern me as much as price to quality does, so if it's worth it to spend extra, I could.

Edit: Also, any tips for cutting neat holes in the doors?

Edit 2: Is the way this works, speakers to amplifier, power to amp, bluetooth receiver to amp, and iPhone to bluetooth? I'm trying to look for people running no head unit/their iPhone as the head unit but it doesn't seem to be too common apparently.

Last edited:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I have a Retrosound dual shaft radio (Hermosa) that has bluetooth connectivity for sound or phone, audio input for an iPod or other plug-in device, and also has a USB connector that you can use with a memory stick to play music. It also has a small microphone that I mounted up on the sun visor, which is used to talk when you connect your phone with bluetooth. I believe it also has audio outputs to drive an external amplifier and/or a subwoofer.

I added a remote cable for the audio plug and USB so that I can put the connectors under the dash. It looks like a cigarette lighter plug until you pop the cap.

The Retrosound radios are a universal design, and you use an adapter kit to match specific vehicles. All the adapter kit provides is a nose piece that is the right size for your dash and a set of knobs that match the OEM type for the vehicle.

The list price on my radio was about $300, but I shopped on Amazon and found a supplier that was selling the Hermosa for about $130 (not sure why?). I had to buy the specific adapter kit for my truck from Jegs, but that was only about another $25.

Bruce

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I found these while looking for a way to add bluetooth to the factory radio.
https://www.amazon.com/TSA7498-Channel-Class-Bluetooth-Amplifier/dp/B00SUT4M02

They make them with a line in input as well as with rca outputs if you wanted to run it to a bigger amp. Thought it would be a good way to keep the factory look in the dash but have a modern hookup for newer devices.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1980 Short

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
bluetooth

I hear what you're saying re the look of modern tech.. BUT, I have a mid range in dash unit with USB in the front, I plug my phone into it to charge and to carry audio signal. It works pretty well. and if you're ever using a app like Wayze to navigate, you'll need your phone on charge..

Re audio I'd go with a powerful enough head unit to run 2 sets of speakers, smaller 3-ways for the doors and some 6x9 behind your seat. Then get a small powered Subwoffer to round out the range of your system. I am currently shopping for the SW but see that Kicker has a good one avail at Best Buy. - You may not even need the SW depending on the sonic articulation you require, I just like that hint of a thump.

QUESTION to others. Has anyone used the cavity at the bottom of the B pillar to install speakers. (Near the seatbelt retractor) It looks like there is enough room to recess some 6x9 in a custom enclosure freeing up room behind the bench.. - LMK

Don R

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
JIMMY
Engine Size
I tried installing 3 different head units in my 84 Jimmy and had power but no sound. I'm so frustrated I found a stock AM FM to put in. I called pioneer they kept telling me to return it...their tech support sucks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I did install 4 ohm 200 watt speakers so that wasn't a problem.

Thanks

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Some of those lack the filtering on the power rails that are especially needed in old auto application. Can have a lot of noise from the ignition. Have to check the description carefully.

I found these while looking for a way to add bluetooth to the factory radio.
https://www.amazon.com/TSA7498-Channel-Class-Bluetooth-Amplifier/dp/B00SUT4M02

They make them with a line in input as well as with rca outputs if you wanted to run it to a bigger amp. Thought it would be a good way to keep the factory look in the dash but have a modern hookup for newer devices.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK