Best vendor? aftermarket? OEM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Isard

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Silverado
Engine Size
Just bought a 1978 Silverado 4x4, trucks 85% done, paint, motor, drive train etc. Need to start replacing some switches, badging, chrome, interior panels etc... Who's the best vendor to go to? or do they all buy from the same Chinese manufacturer.

Thanks!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
USA1 Industries was my goto. Nice stuff. Not cheap though.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I reckon it pays to shop around and compare, for what you want. l have to get my bits online and it comes down to cost + postage.
It varies greatly at times. To get a replacement dashpad sent over, l have been quoted $275 USD !

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
There are a lot of good vendors, but not all carry the same variety of parts. I have requested catalogs from most of the classic parts vendors and sometimes have to go to 2 or 3 of them to get everything I need if the parts are unique to the squarebody. Also, since its a GM vehicle, I find the catalogs for Chevy cars (Camaro, Chevelle, etc.) to be useful if you need GM hard parts for the engine, transmission, etc.

LMC Truck probably has the largest number of 73-87 parts in their catalog, but its hard to tell what you are getting until it arrives. Their online catalog has very little information on the parts source, and they do not provide the detailed information you might need to make sure a part fits your specific truck. I've found Rockauto to be a good source for most standard parts, and their prices are very reasonable. In most cases they also have useful information about the exact parts vendor and specs of the parts you are buying.

Bruce

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
LMC truck and Classic Industries for me for aftermarket. LMC for the small items & Classic Ind. for the higher quality finish pieces. I look for oem when I can on certain parts like trim, bezels, grills and emblems etc.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Truck Shop has a lot of parts too. Idk in particular, but buddy bought a lot of parts for his 72 from them and was happy with the quality.

And generally parts of like quality are priced very similarly from vendor to vendor ( thanks internet....).
So once you’re honed in on the particulars of the parts and compare from a couple few vendors, you can kind of see what’s quality and what’s cheapo repop stuff.

Last edited:

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
LMC Truck seems to have the highest shipping costs, Free shipping on orders of $1000 or more, get a list together and order all your parts at once as save a lot of money. Ive had good experiences with Truck Shop and Classic Industries also.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
The thing I like about LMC, is they give you a year to send things back for a refund, no questions ask. Trust me, I have tested this. I purchased something and then had to fix something else before getting back to being able to install what I originally purchased and then didn't need. With Classic, it is 30 days so I always feel under the gun and have to make sure I am ready to install it. It seems to always be something with these trucks. Just when you think you have it figured you, it throws you another wrench to fix first.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Im having the hardest time finding 'complete kits' - It seems like we have purchase every piece. for instance -

complete kit for door rubber and a complete kit for the window trim. - both doors both windows

- Id like to get a kit for each that has ALL the pieces. (instead of buying each little piece) it's a headache - Iv'e sat down 2x to put all parts together. So i sit down to put it all together with all the descriptions that suck - it's a pain, you have guess, and I don't want to guess. -- I've yet to do it. Show me a kit - I'll buy it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Really?
I’m no pro at this but how hard can it be?
Complete door gaskets, window trim and anti rattles and wing window seals is 3 items when I just ordered them (2 of the 3 because my door seals are good/newer). I’d hate to buy parts I don’t need to get ones that I do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84