Best Rust CONVERTER For Chassis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Looking for rust CONVERTER for my son's'67 long bed chassis.

Absolutely NOT interested in POR-15!

Tried the encapsulation route. After a while it dries out and during serious off road use the chassis flexes, the encapsulating cracks and rust forms underneath. Been there, done that.

Anybody have any experience with really good rust converters? We don't need anything for heavy rust just light surface rust. There are so many choices it's hard to know which ones really work, which ones are pretty much the same thing only priced differently, etc.

Thanks for the help, trukman1

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
We just had a thread going about two months ago on this subject.
I generally try to steer guys away from encapsulator. If there is rust underneath, even after sandblasting and nuking or whatever, the rust will return.
And you made a good point that frame flex will crack the encapsulater. I never thought of that, but makes sense. But most likely the rust still hidden on the steel is returning.
I think encapsulator is a temporary fix really.
As far as your question, all brands of convertor have been recommended by pros. I think they are all the same. If one was better than another I certainly want to know.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Thanks shiftpro,

That's the part I'm trying to figure out. I see converters from $40-$80 per gallon and think they might all just be basically the same thing but just want to do it once and forget it without paying too much for something I could have bought for half the price. I should have done a search first but just didn't think of it.

Thanks again!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had good luck with ospho so far at home and at work. But it usually gets painted after application. EZ slide was mentioned before as a good protective coating

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Home Depot sells phosphoric acid for around $15 per gallon. It definitely reacts with rust quickly. It’s made by Kleen-Strip and it’s called prep and etch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adriank