Best rear tires for 2wd moderate use 1/2 ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So it's not for my truck, I have 4wd, that needs rear tires. Bulge in sidewall and dry rotted(2011 tires). The fronts were replaced with passenger highway tread tires from Walmart(they work perfectly fine) but the back needs new tread. I am not putting the same ones on because I use the truck often enough with heavy loads or trailers. In addition, I also need something more than HT because unweighed the thing can't get out of it's own way currently. So 6 or 8 ply minimum and it's gonna need tread. I understand more tread and ply means rougher and louder, but it's a work truck first and foremost. Not a daily.
Winter use is minimal, so not looking for a snow tire.

Assuming the tire is made in my size(15 inch, exact unimportant), what's a good tire line?
I was thinking Cooper AT3, Bf Goodrich KO2(although a little aggressive), Goodyear Wrangler SRA, and I forgot tire name but one made by Hanook.

No limited slip, one wheel parking brake(allows forced traction on one side if wanted). 1/2 ton truck.

Ideas?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Personal experience good year SUCK!!! BFG are good tires. I have federal couragia m/t on the back of my 2wd.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
How aggressive does that tread make your ride? And Do you have a LSD? If not, how good of traction does it provide you? Id mainly be concerned occasionally about wet grass, rain period(current tires dont evacuate well), and VERY seldom snow, and loose dirt.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The bfg at ko2 is definitely not the best tire for rain. That much I know. The interlocking treads create a plinko board for water flow with no continuous groove out, the water doesn’t evacuate well.

Haven’t tried the Federals that 78 suggested before.

No tire is great uphill in wet grass with an open diff. But for rain, load range d or e, quiet ride, great life, and more traction than an H/T tire; the Michelin LTX AT2 is hard to beat. It won’t win you any cool looking tire awards, but it’s a solid tire.
You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/michelin-ltx-a-t-2

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
The bfg at ko2 is definitely not the best tire for rain. That much I know. The interlocking treads create a plinko board for water flow with no continuous groove out, the water doesn’t evacuate well.

Haven’t tried the Federals that 78 suggested before.

No tire is great uphill in wet grass with an open diff. But for rain, load range d or e, quiet ride, great life, and more traction than an H/T tire; the Michelin LTX AT2 is hard to beat. It won’t win you any cool looking tire awards, but it’s a solid tire.
You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/michelin-ltx-a-t-2
I had those on my truck when i bought it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
How aggressive does that tread make your ride? And Do you have a LSD? If not, how good of traction does it provide you? Id mainly be concerned occasionally about wet grass, rain period(current tires dont evacuate well), and VERY seldom snow, and loose dirt.
I do have a LSD, tread dont hurt my ride at least that i notice. I personally dont care about loud road noise from them or a lil bit rougher ride as id rather real tires on my truck.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
So it's not for my truck, I have 4wd, that needs rear tires. Bulge in sidewall and dry rotted(2011 tires). The fronts were replaced with passenger highway tread tires from Walmart(they work perfectly fine) but the back needs new tread. I am not putting the same ones on because I use the truck often enough with heavy loads or trailers. In addition, I also need something more than HT because unweighed the thing can't get out of it's own way currently. So 6 or 8 ply minimum and it's gonna need tread. I understand more tread and ply means rougher and louder, but it's a work truck first and foremost. Not a daily.
Winter use is minimal, so not looking for a snow tire.

Assuming the tire is made in my size(15 inch, exact unimportant), what's a good tire line?
I was thinking Cooper AT3, Bf Goodrich KO2(although a little aggressive), Goodyear Wrangler SRA, and I forgot tire name but one made by Hanook.

No limited slip, one wheel parking brake(allows forced traction on one side if wanted). 1/2 ton truck.

Ideas?

It sounds like you want to run different rear tires on a 4x4 than what is on the front...?
If this is what your intentions are, don't do it, ever. No two different brand or model of tires will have the same O.D. Even the same tires but one set being worn is not a great idea. If it's a 4x4, change all 4 tires at the same time. I often buy used tires but I'll make certain they are worn evenly.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Your post it titled "tires for a 2wd" so that makes more sense than your opening statement.

I've always ran an all terrain type tire on my 2wds. And all 4 were the same... then you can rotate the tires and get more miles and even wear.
Unless it's a lowered (or not) hot rod truck than I like the rear tires wider than the front.
Frankenface above has great advice, pointing out Michelin LTX A/Ts. Hellova tire for the price. I have these on the back of my blue dually in
my avatar <<<

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Its because its not for my square, which is 4x4. Which has matching KO2. Its for a 96 f150 thats 2wd, but same concept applies as any square 2wd with open diffs. I just need two tires and I definitely like the looks of the michellin tire.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd buy what you like.
You're right about a heavier ply especially with a load.
I had a '97 Dodge 1/2 ton. It didn't matter what tires were on it, if you went off pavement, you would get stuck or no traction.
Keep some weight in the back.
I got rid of the Dodge and bought a 1975 K20, no more getting stuck.It came with a set of street tires, ten ply, I'll wear them out. I'm in the Mohave desert now and haven't got stuck yet, hardly had to use four wheel drive even. The steel canopy seems to help with traction.
I had an '81 Custom Deluxe SWB 2wd and with the canopy, it made a lot of difference with traction, without the canopy, I'd have to chain up. That was in Alaska.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoblind