Best r4 compressor brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Alright, two summers in a row I’ve had to replace “four season” r4 compressors, and my newest one only lasted a week... to hell with that. What are brands to look for that sell quality 100% new ac compressors? I know ac delco is a for sure good brand but if there’s a cheaper option I’d rather go with it, although at this point I’m ready to shell out a bit, thanks in advance

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sanden conversion ...
And flush the system really good

As for r4, the cheapest from O'Reilly still going in a crew cab that I recently sold after 3-4 years of use.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
CompressorWorks/Four Seasons builds every single one of them regardless of whose name was on it. Delphi/Harrison were the ones that made it before, but that was 25 years ago. We were talking about this in my Oldsmobile thread. It’s not a super well designed compressor, and I don’t think these new ones coming out are all that special. Even the good ones are noisy as hell. I think I’ve got a real 1990s (although not the OEM unit) Delphi in my Caprice. When it goes out, I’m either doing Sanden or finding a way to stick a V5 onto the R4 bracketry. I’ve read about it being done, but I’ll have to experiment when the time comes. I should have done this in my Jimmy, but I also fell under the spell of Four Seasons. It does alright, but the R4 in my car does so well that I thought I’d be okay sticking with it.

Sanden conversion ...
And flush the system really good

As for r4, the cheapest from O'Reilly still going in a crew cab that I recently sold after 3-4 years of use.

It’s a Sanden 508? You just buy the brackets, the line adapters/have new lines made, and do you know if they make it with a v-belt pulley?

What about this V5 adaptation, @CorvairGeek ? A6 is out of the question, but V5s are affordable and should, in theory, be an easier option. I’ve seen it done in a video/read about it in a few places, but I haven’t removed mine yet so I don’t even know about the bolt pattern, the manifold pattern, etc.

I just saw the Sanden conversion thread. Whoops. I guess the people that did the V5 conversion had to get lines made to deal with the reversed ports.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have the flx7 if I remember correctly. Other variations work as well. Adapter brackets are $70 or free if you have a grinder and random stock. Hoses can be stock with some extension on some models or just make new lines. coldhose.com can crimp and ship hoses. Change accumulator, orifice tube, flush, and fill with oil.

My TA actually has the v5 compressor. Reman unit and works ok. But it is bolted to ls motor.

Last edited:

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I would love to do the V5 myself in place of the R4, but IIRC, the suction and discharge ports are reversed from the R4. GM says the V5 oil drain plug is only supposed to be 'x' degrees from the 6 o'clock position (bottom), when mounted. I have no idea what would happen long term if inverted.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Spent a lot of time on this fire drill. My original AC was not working when I got the truck. Got it converted to 134 and flushed, cleaned and filled with original R4 compressor. Worked great for three months until the compressor seized. Read about all the horror stories of R4's working anywhere from a day to a week and some even a year or longer.
Also read about how they're all made by the same place now and don't even consider a rebuilt. Get a new one.
So I got a new one from O Reilly, got it flushed, cleaned and filled professionally and has worked great for two months now in the FL heat.

I've already decided that when it ***** the bed.....make sure you understand that statement...."when" it ***** the bed, not "if" it ***** the bed, I'm gonna get new brackets, hoses and a Sanden and never **** with it again.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Spent a lot of time on this fire drill. My original AC was not working when I got the truck. Got it converted to 134 and flushed, cleaned and filled with original R4 compressor. Worked great for three months until the compressor seized. Read about all the horror stories of R4's working anywhere from a day to a week and some even a year or longer.
Also read about how they're all made by the same place now and don't even consider a rebuilt. Get a new one.
So I got a new one from O Reilly, got it flushed, cleaned and filled professionally and has worked great for two months now in the FL heat.

I've already decided that when it ***** the bed.....make sure you understand that statement...."when" it ***** the bed, not "if" it ***** the bed, I'm gonna get new brackets, hoses and a Sanden and never **** with it again.
Do you have the brand name you used? I think I’m going to go the same route as you, get a new one for now, but plan on a sanden conversion
CompressorWorks/Four Seasons builds every single one of them regardless of whose name was on it. Delphi/Harrison were the ones that made it before, but that was 25 years ago. We were talking about this in my Oldsmobile thread. It’s not a super well designed compressor, and I don’t think these new ones coming out are all that special. Even the good ones are noisy as hell. I think I’ve got a real 1990s (although not the OEM unit) Delphi in my Caprice. When it goes out, I’m either doing Sanden or finding a way to stick a V5 onto the R4 bracketry. I’ve read about it being done, but I’ll have to experiment when the time comes. I should have done this in my Jimmy, but I also fell under the spell of Four Seasons. It does alright, but the R4 in my car does so well that I thought I’d be okay sticking with it.

It’s a Sanden 508? You just buy the brackets, the line adapters/have new lines made, and do you know if they make it with a v-belt pulley?

What about this V5 adaptation, @CorvairGeek ? A6 is out of the question, but V5s are affordable and should, in theory, be an easier option. I’ve seen it done in a video/read about it in a few places, but I haven’t removed mine yet so I don’t even know about the bolt pattern, the manifold pattern, etc.

I just saw the Sanden conversion thread. Whoops. I guess the people that did the V5 conversion had to get lines made to deal with the reversed ports.
can you link that sanden conversion thread?

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I keep thinking it was Cordone but could be confusing that with the power steering pump I just replaced. .
O Reilly only had one manufacturer option on a new V belt compressor. For the V belt type R4 you have to make sure the power connector is in the right spot. They're either at 9 o'clock or at 12 o'clock. Make sure you have the right one.
I can look at it when I get home tonight and see if theres a label from the maker.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/r4-to-sanden-whith-stock-ac-lines-for-serpantine.22437/

I got mine from Autozone so it was listed as a new Compressor Works unit. 620226 is the PN, and it says available until stock depleted. I ended up getting $20 off with a rewards credit and bought the o-tube and accumulator separate so I was in it for about $180. Add in a box of o-rings and the flush solution, and that was it. They also have the kit for $218, and that’s a Four Seasons listing. That’d be worthwhile if you could knock a few bucks off that with a coupon so you don’t have to buy everything piecemeal.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Good thread as I have to redo the AC in my K5. I finished my LS swap and now plan to replace all the AC components. I have to buy a bracket anyway. Will also replace the evap, accum, compressor, condenser, lines and orifice tube.
The only part that I wasn't sure on is having to make a new hose if I use a sanden.
I'll try to find a local place, if not I'll go with coldhose as @yevgenievich mentioned.

BTW, I have a R4 system in my R10. Replaced everything when converting to R134a and serpentine setup. I have to say it works well, and gets cold even in the 100+ TX summers.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Good thread as I have to redo the AC in my K5. I finished my LS swap and now plan to replace all the AC components. I have to buy a bracket anyway. Will also replace the evap, accum, compressor, condenser, lines and orifice tube.
The only part that I wasn't sure on is having to make a new hose if I use a sanden.
I'll try to find a local place, if not I'll go with coldhose as @yevgenievich mentioned.

BTW, I have a R4 system in my R10. Replaced everything when converting to R134a and serpentine setup. I have to say it works well, and gets cold even in the 100+ TX summers.
WHEN my system works it’s great, I got 37 degrees out the vent when it was correctly charged

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
WHEN my system works it’s great, I got 37 degrees out the vent when it was correctly charged

Right. For mine, I have to say so far so good. Around 3 yrs at this point.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/r4-to-sanden-whith-stock-ac-lines-for-serpantine.22437/

I got mine from Autozone so it was listed as a new Compressor Works unit. 620226 is the PN, and it says available until stock depleted. I ended up getting $20 off with a rewards credit and bought the o-tube and accumulator separate so I was in it for about $180. Add in a box of o-rings and the flush solution, and that was it. They also have the kit for $218, and that’s a Four Seasons listing. That’d be worthwhile if you could knock a few bucks off that with a coupon so you don’t have to buy everything piecemeal.
I just went and picked that exact one up at Autozone myself, fingers crossed it works out, thanks! I wasn’t able to find that part number prior

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I just went and picked that exact one up at Autozone myself, fingers crossed it works out, thanks! I wasn’t able to find that part number prior

This one comes and goes. Consider getting a Ford blue o-tube instead of the GM white, as well. It’s supposed to cool better at lower speeds without sacrificing highway performance. Let me know how it goes. The stupid clutch on mine chitters when it’s disengaged, and it’s pretty loud in the cab at idle, but it works well.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
This one comes and goes. Consider getting a Ford blue o-tube instead of the GM white, as well. It’s supposed to cool better at lower speeds without sacrificing highway performance. Let me know how it goes. The stupid clutch on mine chitters when it’s disengaged, and it’s pretty loud in the cab at idle, but it works well.
Okay so I’ve looked and looked for a ford blue tube but can’t find a part number anywhere, any leads?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8