Best plug wires for noise suppression

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ever since swapping to PF4 from a carb and HEI I have had very bad ignition static in my stereo system.

I have been to hell and back troubleshooting the source of the noise and have concluded due to the process of elimination, my existing plug wires might be the issue.

I'm using Summit brand 8mm, resistor, low ohm wires and AC Delco resistor plugs.

Since I need to change plug wires anyway, I'm willing to buy the best quality wires I can get.

All opinions and feedback are greatly appreciated.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Check all of your grounds. Usually noise in a radio is grounding issues somewhere. If that doesn't work you can always install a noise filter.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check all of your grounds. Usually noise in a radio is grounding issues somewhere. If that doesn't work you can always install a noise filter.

Done all of that numerous times. No joy.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thought about ground loop isolator? That would clean the radio up

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Only problem I find with the isolators is a reduction in sound quality after install.

What are the specs of your sound system?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thought about ground loop isolator? That would clean the radio up

Yes. No change. Inline filter on power source- no change.

Removed the entire stereo from truck and installed a borrowed system- no change.

Ran the entire system off s remote battery- no change.

Unhooked the alternator and pulled the main 100 amp fuse- no change.

Ran the remote fuel sump off a remote battery- no change. Unhooked the radio antenna- no change.

Spent $80 on high end twisted pair, 3 layer RCA patch cables- no change.

All components run power and ground to one common point directly from the batt terminals- no change.

I'm open to suggestions but I, nor anyone I know, can figure it out.

The best clue is that there was absolutely zero noise in the system prior to swapping to the efi system. The efi uses a different distributor (hall effect vs. the HEI module) and a hot (MSD Blaster 2) coil.

The only thing that didn't change was the Summit brand plug wires.

I would gladly give someone $100 bill if they could tell me what it is.

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I believe the low ohm wires are the problem. Try a cheap set of standard ones, or put the old ones back on.

This is from one of Summit's blogs:

"
Carbon Core: This is the common OEM-style core used on most modern vehicles. It offers excellent RFI suppression but also creates more resistance than other styles. In addition, carbon core breaks down more quickly than other materials so they require relatively frequent replacement.

Solid Core: Solid core spark plug wires typically utilize stainless steel or copper, which conducts electrical current very well. For that reason, solid core wires have lower resistance than other wires to get maximum energy to the plugs. Unfortunately, solid core offers very little EMI/RFI suppression, so they’re not suited for electronic ignition systems or vehicles with sensitive communications equipment.

Spiral Core: Spiral core spark plug wires incorporate an alloy—usually consisting of stainless steel, copper, and tin—wrapping the core to suppress EMI/RFI while maintaining low resistance. As with everything, there is a delicate balance. More wire coils around the core will reduce noise but raise resistance of the wire.

"

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There are no old ones. The current ones have about 2k miles on them.

MSD makes some high end 8.8 mm wires specifically for noise suppression. I'm just not thrilled to shell out $116. I'd feel better if I was positive the plug wires are the issue.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
There are no old ones. The current ones have about 2k miles on them.

MSD makes some high end 8.8 mm wires specifically for noise suppression. I'm just not thrilled to shell out $116. I'd feel better if I was positive the plug wires are the issue.
These are what I have. Tried them and the 8.5mm MSD super conductors. Both have worked well for me. Iirc, the super conductors were $90 for the set. Buuut...I don’t have a stereo. Just best to keep rfi in check with efi and computer controlled electronic ignition.

I just like trying new stuff.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I am running Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm plug wires with a full MSD Ignition and have had very good luck with them. The only reason I didn't put the MSD wires on is the Taylors were literally brand new right before I rebuilt the engine. Which bushing are you running in your HEI? I would recommend the MSD low resistance bushing if you aren't already. Part# 8412 The stock carbon bushing has a TON of resistance and this one has literally ZERO. Mine was like .12ohms when I checked it before I installed it. Although generally the high carbon factory bushings are supposed to help with noise suppression, sometimes when you add hotter ignition components you can run into increased problems with interference.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
This guy gives you a lot of stuff to check. Seems like you've done good with better rca wires but, as said before grounds have to be good and big enough wire. Hope this helps.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Fixed it!!!

Eliminated the static 100%. Still not sure what's causing it but my suspicion in RFI from the plug wires. I still plan to install some high quality wires.

But for now, I'm happy as a clam.
You must be registered for see images attach

86SuburbanCCC-SSS

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was reading your thread just for fun, and sitting here thinking what early Dolby house hold stereo bit could be reused in this case. Another million dollar idea down the drain

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Have access to an O scope? That will tell you exactly where the noise is being generated from. Is it from ALL THE wires or just a tic tic from one? The EFI will be affected with the noise as well find it and eliminate it. A good man on the scope will have your answer in just a few minutes checking it out!

Olnick

alphiesob

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Another vote for the Taylor Spiral Core Wires, they work great on my amped up HEI. The post about Car Audio Fabrication< the guy knows his stuff. Quality is everything.