Best Headers for 1987 R20 TBI 454 long tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gray Beard

Reaction score
First Name
Toni
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Looking for a good set of long tube headers for my 1987 R20 TBI 454 that fit well. Also a good true dual exhaust system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I am working on getting the manifold bolts out now...%$#@!

Thanks!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
1968 - 1972 Nova headers on my 3/4 ton 2wd with 454 and SM465.
No big hammer adjustment needed.
Just a tickle near the Z-bar for the clutch, all other dimples were from the PO.
You must be registered for see images attach

They tuck right up in the chassis, these will never drag unless I am doing things wrong....

I will be installing something like this offering from Tejas Steel Works High Steel Transmission Mount when it is time to install a fresh 3" exhaust front to back.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Gray Beard Keep in mind that your TBI vehicle has an oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold, that must be retained in whatever header setup you get. There is no getting by without the oxygen sensor the computer needs that to mix the fuel correctly. So options are, leave the factory manifolds, purchase a manifold with the O2 sensor bung already in it, or buy whatever manifold you want and have it added in. On a header system the Oxygen sensor almost always ends up being located further away from the cylinder head than factory. This causes the sensor to take longer to warm up and start functioning at it's best, which depending on your driving could result in a little lower fuel economy. I'm not saying don't do the headers even though I would not, I'm saying be aware of the pit falls of installing them on a FI engine.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Agreed. It isn't a problem with a modern FI system running heated O2 sensors, but the older TBI ones rely on the heat of the exhaust to heat the element up. You could always just upgrade your TBI system to a heated O2 sensor to solve that problem, but that would be a little more involved. I used a set of ceramic coated headers from summit for my 454 swap and just drilled holes and welded in the O2 bungs myself. I got the smaller ones, since I'm not doing anything too crazy. 1-3/4 primaries and a 3" collector.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...dbXe6sX292tUEd4rVX1S4TDr9AGLuTGwaAghKEALw_wcB

Gray Beard

Reaction score
First Name
Toni
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I was planning on using an O2 sensor in the header. I did look at the summit ones, the same ones you posted, but the heads are square port and the headers are round. Any draw back? Did they fit well? should I be concerned about the smog pump?
Thanks!

Gray Beard

Reaction score
First Name
Toni
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
@Gray Beard Keep in mind that your TBI vehicle has an oxygen sensor in the exhaust manifold, that must be retained in whatever header setup you get. There is no getting by without the oxygen sensor the computer needs that to mix the fuel correctly. So options are, leave the factory manifolds, purchase a manifold with the O2 sensor bung already in it, or buy whatever manifold you want and have it added in. On a header system the Oxygen sensor almost always ends up being located further away from the cylinder head than factory. This causes the sensor to take longer to warm up and start functioning at it's best, which depending on your driving could result in a little lower fuel economy. I'm not saying don't do the headers even though I would not, I'm saying be aware of the pit falls of installing them on a FI engine.
Agree with all you are saying, and I would consider the stock manifolds if they are not to buggered up, studs and what not. planning on using the O2 for sure.

Gray Beard

Reaction score
First Name
Toni
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
1968 - 1972 Nova headers on my 3/4 ton 2wd with 454 and SM465.
No big hammer adjustment needed.
Just a tickle near the Z-bar for the clutch, all other dimples were from the PO.

They tuck right up in the chassis, these will never drag unless I am doing things wrong....

I will be installing something like this offering from Tejas Steel Works High Steel Transmission Mount when it is time to install a fresh 3" exhaust front to back.
Interesting that they fit so well. Thanks for the tip!

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I was planning on using an O2 sensor in the header. I did look at the summit ones, the same ones you posted, but the heads are square port and the headers are round. Any draw back? Did they fit well? should I be concerned about the smog pump?
Thanks!
Aren't all BBC heads, square port exhaust?

Gray Beard

Reaction score
First Name
Toni
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I would say yes. My 70 BB is. Most all the pictures of headers I have seen show round port. Flowtech is the only one that had a pic of sqaure ports. Maybe most of the photos are a (stock) photo of headers. Anyway, kind of misleading.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The ones on my 97 L29 454 were D-shaped. I port matched them to the round port on the header and got some good quality thick gaskets that fit the round port. They are big enough ports that they shouldn't have any interference on the peanut port square ports.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Do an H pipe or there is no performance gains with the headers..they're actually a pain and get in the way. I have an 88 V20 burb tbi 350 with long tubes and wish I put an h pipe in while we were in there. I have another 88 V10 burb tbi 350 with stock manifolds and it is way easier to work on in that area. Just my .02. Have fun either way you go!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Do an H pipe or there is no performance gains with the headers..they're actually a pain and get in the way. I have an 88 V20 burb tbi 350 with long tubes and wish I put an h pipe in while we were in there. I have another 88 V10 burb tbi 350 with stock manifolds and it is way easier to work on in that area. Just my .02. Have fun either way you go!
I couldn't agree more with your comments on headers getting in the way!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara