Best budget ideas for carb to TBI swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I have seen a couple posts mentioning a mod like this and it has me thinking it would be the best idea for my truck. Seems like I remember someone (Andy?) mentioning a bigblock TBI on a higher performance smallblock would be a hot setup. I mainly still want to run Vortec heads on my Gen 1 4-bolt main 350 with flattops, around 11:1 CR. What is the best TBI setup I should be looking at? What all components will I need? O2 sensor of course, but what are the mandatory minimums for it to work? I was thinking the Edelbrock RPM air-gap intake for Vortec heads, with a TBI adapter plate might be a good choice. Any other/better recommendations?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
this:http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/estreet_intro.shtml
and be done with it.
it will tune its self, which is a big plus since running vortec heads, and it will re tune for any other mods you may do. Having done a shitload of EFI conversions, this is what I would do if I didnt have to worry about emissions. Well worth the cost...trust me.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Like the idea, hate the fuggin price. If I can buy parts $100-$200 at a time and get it done with existing production parts it would be better.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Like the idea, hate the fuggin price. If I can buy parts $100-$200 at a time and get it done with existing production parts it would be better.

Well, You could, but i would recommend using the self tuning ecm from one of their 2 barrel systems...I think holly has one also. The self tuning feature is the big deal. The engine combo you want to run would probably work best with a complete injection setup from a 454, but it will still need to be tuned.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If your wanting to stick to the budget, hassle be damned, I'd look for a donor truck with a TBI 350 to rob the harness and sensors from, or even a 4.3 should work. Then I would get an aftermarket VSS that screws into the speedo cable (to keep from messing with dash wiring and different speedos), and a 454 TB. The 454 TB uses a a different plug for the IAC valve, but you can make or buy an adapter. The linkage also doesn't have a provision for a downshift cable, so you will have to add that.

Everything I have read says that you have to run a somewhat mild cam with TBI, even with custom tuning.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
If your wanting to stick to the budget, hassle be damned, I'd look for a donor truck with a TBI 350 to rob the harness and sensors from, or even a 4.3 should work. Then I would get an aftermarket VSS that screws into the speedo cable (to keep from messing with dash wiring and different speedos), and a 454 TB. The 454 TB uses a a different plug for the IAC valve, but you can make or buy an adapter. The linkage also doesn't have a provision for a downshift cable, so you will have to add that.

Everything I have read says that you have to run a somewhat mild cam with TBI, even with custom tuning.

Yup, thats why I suggested the Eddy system, Mandatory minimums, no wire splicing from factory ****... and 4 barrels!

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
I saw Holley Projection system on craigslist for $350 today.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
There are several companies who know their way around a tbi system and can give you a good baseline tune just by telling them your combo. Tbichips and wait4me are the two that come to mind... I will be using wait4me for the tune on my daily driver 94 k1500. Its got a stock replacement vortec 350 under the stock (ultimate modded) tbi mounted to an edelbrock performer rpm intake (no egr), as they are local to me and offer a dyno tune.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8