Bending Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'm doing my second hood repair on my 78 K5. I installed an aftermarket brace kit but that just moved the bend point further downstream. Is anybody else experiencing this issue?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've had the same problem, and I also had the aftermarket brace. It got much worse in cold weather as the hinges got tighter.

This year I took the hood off and got it back to nearly straight, and I'm trying to keep it that way. I also made my own braces and they are longer than the aftermarket kit. It might just move the kink farther down again, but its work a try.

When you close the hood you need to have the hinges well lubricated, and you must push the hood back (toward the windshield) at the same time you close. This helps the hinge mechanism move and collapse easier so the hood can go down.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
. Is anybody else experiencing this issue?
I think every early square that I've owned had a kinked hood. Braces just move the kink. You don't want to make it too strong because that weak spot is a safety feature, allowing the hood to crumple in an accident instead of going atraight into the cab. Keep the hinges oiled and push back and down when closing the hood, and it will last.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I had a slight kink, but was able to flatten it. What would be the recommended lubricant for the hinges. I know WD40 will not last. I bought some spray lithium grease and sprayed up the hinges really good. Is there something else I need to consider?

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use Remington DriLube so it doesn't collect dirt.

78 Jimmy 2WD

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy
Engine Size
400?
Personally , I am quite fond of Slick 59 spray lube. I am a retired car hauler and used it for years on the chain ratchets on truck and trailer. If no where else, it can be found at Ace Hardware.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I had a slight kink, but was able to flatten it. What would be the recommended lubricant for the hinges. I know WD40 will not last. I bought some spray lithium grease and sprayed up the hinges really good. Is there something else I need to consider?

You could consider graphite spray. It is considered a dry lubricant. It will turn whatever you spray black but it dries instantly and works great for a long time without attracting dust. If you spray the pins in your hood hinge it will significantly reduce the force needed to close the hood so it should reduce the chance of being bent. Alternatively you could purchase aftermarket hood hinges that use a gas strut.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The owners manual on my 1980 says engine oil

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've found any lubricant works, some are messier than others but the most important thing is to LUBE IT REGULARY. You can wipe off the excess. I lube the door and hood hinges at least 3 times a year. Where I live it attracts dust but I also hose off under the hood at least a couple times a year.
I also found that when you check your fluids monthly, exercise the hood hinges. Open and close the hood several times, fully. The more you work the hood, the easier the hinges work.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bextreme04, is right, my factory maint. manual says use engine oil. And lube it on every place the hood moves on not just the main hinges, all those little places and they are all over the hinge. Also, when the back of the hood seems to have a problem going all the way down when you close the hood it indicates the hood springs have lost their strength to pull back on the hood. Replace them.

When I rebuilt my truck I bought a whole new front end including a new hood. That was the first thing I did was weld some .050" thick rectangles over the "crumple zones" And yes, they are there so the hood will bend in a wreck. But what causes the hood to bend in them is a dry hinge or a infrequently oiled hood hinge. When I bought my truck way back in '81 the hood was already bent and cracked to, bad. I remember every time I closed the hood I would have to walk over to the place that was bent and push down on it to get it down. I need to order a new pair of springs for my hood which I will be doing very soon.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I took the springs off my hood hinges and made a prop rod. The hood will still fold in a crash as designed,it was free but it is a heavy son of a bitch to open. But it doesn't bend now.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
IMHO, the braces that most people have shown below in a LMC picture, suck, and don't do much.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brothers truck, Ecklers and others have a brace that works much better wrapping onto the sides and bridging the weak spot in the metal.

And of course, you have to lubricate everything and close the hood correctly by pushing back as you close.

For those that don't like springs; Wam Rods has a kit.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

The owners manual on my 1980 says engine oil
Of course my 84 does not have this problem. But my Dad had a 78 GMC from 80 until 98ish. He was very meticulous with maintenance but also a tightwad. So he did install braces on his hood as it was just barely flexing when he bought it. Because he was a tightwad he was a huge fan using used motor oil for lubricating things and gasoline for cleaning things. So he lubed his hinges with use motor oil out of a squirt can, seems to me he would give them a few drops of oil dang near every time he had the hood open. He did the push in and down from the center and by the end the passenger side was just noticeably higher then the fender. I would definitely say based on the number of hoods I've seen bent quite a bit, that any kind of lubrication will go a long way to help. I'm not endorsing used motor as a lubricant by the way, it's terribly messy and really not that great a lubricant. I guess my point is any lube will help over no lube.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bennyt,
Yeah, I've seen those in LMC's catalog. The gas shocks would work great except in all the years trucks that have the big hinges and springs. The Red truck in the photo is more designed for gas shocks because the small hinges are set back in the corners. My truck, '74 would have to have the gas shock put some where since I have to keep the big hinges but could loose the springs. I'm surprised someone hasn't come out with a kit for these earlier trucks by now. I've wanted gas shocks since I rebuilt my truck but didn't want to take the time to design something for it.

@Ricko1966,
Oh yeah, I know for a fact the factory hood weighs 96 lbs.!!

Last edited:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Bennyt,
Yeah, I've seen those in LMC's catalog. The gas shocks would work great except in all the years trucks that have the big hinges and springs. The Red truck in the photo is more designed for gas shocks because the small hinges are set back in the corners. My truck, '74 would have to have the gas shock put some where since I have to keep the big hinges but could loose the springs. I'm surprised someone hasn't come out with a kit for these earlier trucks by now. I've wanted gas shocks since I rebuilt my truck but didn't want to take the time to design something for it.

@Ricko1966,
Oh yeah, I know for a fact the factory hood weighs 96 lbs.!!

Wamrods does have a kit for the 73-80, I wasn't paying attention and posted the wrong pic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54