Bench Seat to Bucket Seats (Ideas & Discussion)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol. Cool, I've looked high and low for a set of factory buckets. Closest I've found is a set of buckets out of a late 70's-early 80's Chevy Vandura motorhome. Not sure, but I think they might be the same as the pickup seats.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Those Vandura seats would sit up to high. Your head would be polishing the roof of the truck if you had hair.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The seats themselves could be the very same as the trucks, but the seat tracks will be nothing the same.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The seats themselves could be the very same as the trucks, but the seat tracks will be nothing the same.

yep, that could be the difference. It would be cool if the Van seats bolt to the truck seat frames.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nah, the seats are the same size as a normal pickup seat. And the adjuster tracks only hang down an inch or so. There's big ass mounting brackets that get them up in the air higher. They were like 7" tall in the front and 5" tall in the back. I sat the seats in the truck and they fit good, just gotta make new shorter brackets.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here ya go

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, I get it. So they aren't bolted to the van seat base now. That would be great if they bolt to a truck mounting frames without mod.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yea, I would love to find a set of truck seat brackets. I've thought about cutting apart an old bench seat and seeing if I could mate the buckets to that frame. Probably wouldn't even come close to working though.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I did something similar. I took the brackets off the bottom of a bench seat, and bolted them to some angle iron and welded up a frame for Subaru buckets. They sit a good 2" or so higher. I'm 6' and head clearance wasnt an issue but if the ride got rough there was potential to bang your head. I would like to redo the frame, I think if it would be lowered an inch or so the buckets would ride at the right height. Kind of a trial-and-error thing though.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I made brackets to put a set of buckets in my old '77 F*rd and they worked great. Granted the floor was mostly flat in that truck, but I don't think it'll be much trouble.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Yea, I would love to find a set of truck seat brackets. I've thought about cutting apart an old bench seat and seeing if I could mate the buckets to that frame. Probably wouldn't even come close to working though.

Actually the bench tracks and bucket tracks are exactly the same with the exception of the rear where it bolts to the seat. I'll post some pics of this tonight.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So maybe if a person took the tracks off of 2 bench seats, they could use that set of buckets he posted. You'd have to drill some holes for the center, but so what. Should be an easy install. I'll damn sure remember that when I go to trash another bench seat that's wore out. I'll at least keep the mounting rails off of it. So far I only trashed 1 seat thanfully.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Here ya go

OK, those aren't the same mounting locations as the truck high-back buckets. That looks like the same mounting pattern as the '86-up K5 Blazer seats, which is the same pattern as oodles of other modern GM seats. With those, you could probably modify Suburban bucket seat tracks to fit, as well as the inner floor stands from a Suburban.

Actually the bench tracks and bucket tracks are exactly the same with the exception of the rear where it bolts to the seat. I'll post some pics of this tonight.

What do you mean? The stock truck bucket seats are only adjustable on the driver side. The passenger seat is stationary.

I think since I own about every seat combination for the squarebody truck line, I'm going to have to take a bunch of pictures.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So maybe if a person took the tracks off of 2 bench seats, they could use that set of buckets he posted. You'd have to drill some holes for the center, but so what. Should be an easy install. I'll damn sure remember that when I go to trash another bench seat that's wore out. I'll at least keep the mounting rails off of it. So far I only trashed 1 seat thanfully.

That was my initial thought. Both of these buckets are adjustable though, so my plan right now is to keep the tracks that are on them and just fabricate some brackets to bolt them to the floor.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Stroked, the rear of the bench tracks have a v shaped bracket riveted to the back and the factory buckets tracks have a flat bar riveted to the back but the seat track itself is the same. The passenger seat is stationary but can be moded to be a slider with another set of brackets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK