Bellhousing Top Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 hopefully converting to K2500
Engine Size
Searched the site and couldn't find a recent thread, so sorry if this is a frequently asked question.

I'm removing a 350 engine from an 87 Chevy V10 with 4-speed. I'm hoping to separate the bellhousing from the back of the engine and leave bellhousing, transmission, etc. in the truck. What's the best way to remove the top two bellhousing bolts? I can feel them on either side near the top. Just wondering if there are any tricks to getting at them. There's no removable transmission hump which would really help. Would removing the distributor make it easier? Thanks for the help.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Best way I've found is by pulling the dizzy and carb then using a wrench (ratcheting type preferred) from the top.

Edit: should have mentioned only use the ratcheting type after breaking them loose. :crazy:

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It’s possible to do it without removing anything. I did it a week or so ago and I’ll be doing it again tomorrow...yey

Use a second wrench as an extender for your 9/16 for more leverage at first.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I used to R&R alot of transmissions for rebuilding back in the day. Best investment I made was a 24 in 3/8 extension and a wobble adapter. Not a univeral joint, but a wobble adapter. Shoot that over the top of the transmission from underneath after you've pulled the crossmember and let it droop about 2 inches and they're in plain site and easy to access.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I've always done the same thing as hotrod. If you don't have a long extension just get a few shorter ones, definitely need the swivel adapter though.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've always done the same thing as hotrod. If you don't have a long extension just get a few shorter ones, definitely need the swivel adapter though.
Yes, the swivel is a better name. I got stuck on wobble when bucket said it. Now I do have some extensions that will allow wobble and those work too on many vehicles then you don't even need the swivel adapter.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Yes, the swivel is a better name. I got stuck on wobble when bucket said it. Now I do have some extensions that will allow wobble and those work too on many vehicles then you don't even need the swivel adapter.
Oh yeah I've used those a few times, they're nice for smaller extensions as well!

My friends and I have always called those wobbly sockets, wobble sockets since they don't necessarily swivel, and they aren't adapters they're just.. well wobble sockets lol. They're pretty handy as well, just less angle available with those.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh yeah I've used those a few times, they're nice for smaller extensions as well!

My friends and I have always called those wobbly sockets, wobble sockets since they don't necessarily swivel, and they aren't adapters they're just.. well wobble sockets lol. They're pretty handy as well, just less angle available with those.

Wobble sockets, swivel sockets, whatever you want to call them. The type with the ball joint in them are much easier to control than the universal joint type. It's another case where you get what you pay for.

Kilian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
K
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 hopefully converting to K2500
Engine Size
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any of the wobble sockets, but made do with a universal joint, extensions, and breaker bar and got them out. Engine came out today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406