Belated intro: ‘76 Sierra Shortbed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc_Ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500 shortbed
Engine Size
So I’ve been on here for a while and dropped a post here and there but haven’t done a proper intro. Didn’t want to post one without a pic and couldn’t get a decent shot in the garage. Thought today was as good as any to roll it out:

View media item 7982
The original owner was a jet mechanic and used to haul jet engines around in it. He passed it down to his son in law and that’s who I bought it from. So not a one owner, but at least it had been in the same family since new.

I’m not Doc Ellis by the way, the guy I bought it from is. I don’t usually name my vehicles but figured this one should have one. Doc Ellis seemed to suit the truck for some reason so there you go. I always just refer to it as “the truck” though

Last year for Chevy orange :waytogo:

View media item 7983
To paraphrase Tom Waits: “Straight six, three on the tree. Tight little mother...”
Of course everyone always asks “you gonna throw a small block in it?” “You gonna do an LS swap?” Blah blah blah.
The answer is no. This is just gonna be a cruiser. The six runs like a top and I love the agricultural sound of it. Really suits the truck well. Everyone knows what a small block sounds like, but how often do you get to hear one of these anymore?
And of course, three on the tree is about as OG as it gets.
If I did anything, I’d either get a 250 without the integrated intake manifold or a 292 and play around with triple carbs and all that. Really though, the engine in the truck is the one it was born with and I kind of want to keep it that way.

View media item 7985
Damn right.

I’ll admit, when I first laid eyes on this thing in his garage it didn’t exactly knock me over with thoughts of “OMG I must have it!”
When I looked inside and saw the plaid bench seat though, I pretty much knew it was gonna be mine.

View media item 7984
I had seen this temp plate in the glovebox and just assumed it was from when the son in law took the truck over and registered it

View media item 7986
Then I was flipping through the owner’s manual one day and found this:

View media item 7987
The original 1976 temp registration that goes with the plate from when the truck was brand new. I geek out on this kind of stuff, I love having it.

So that’s basically it. Plans? First of all, go through it mechanically and make it road worthy again. The previous owner did some rust repair and he meant well, it’s just way off from my standards. I’m not going to go crazy re doing it all to full restoration quality, but I have to bring it up from where it is. You can see some of the patched in areas on the outside pic. That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Cosmetically, I’m going to add the side trims to it even though it’s not original to the truck. Just looks too plain without it for me. I’m still up in the air whether I want to do two tone or not. I’ll see how it looks with just the trim on there first.
Probably a 5/7 drop. I’m not crazy about notching the frame on this honest old rig but I’ll get over it.
Going to stick with steelies and hubcaps, but will go with something a bit wider to fill out the wells some more.
That’s about it. I bought this with the idea of having a lowered ratty truck so that’s what I plan on ending up with.
I’ll start an under construction thread here in a bit. I need to get better about taking pics of stuff as I’m working on it, we’ll see how that goes...
Thanks y’all
-Keith

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Hell yea rock that 250!!! I love that window sticker too.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Belated :welcome:

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I’ve been on here for a while and dropped a post here and there but haven’t done a proper intro. Didn’t want to post one without a pic and couldn’t get a decent shot in the garage. Thought today was as good as any to roll it out:

View media item 7982
The original owner was a jet mechanic and used to haul jet engines around in it. He passed it down to his son in law and that’s who I bought it from. So not a one owner, but at least it had been in the same family since new.

I’m not Doc Ellis by the way, the guy I bought it from is. I don’t usually name my vehicles but figured this one should have one. Doc Ellis seemed to suit the truck for some reason so there you go. I always just refer to it as “the truck” though

Last year for Chevy orange :waytogo:

View media item 7983
To paraphrase Tom Waits: “Straight six, three on the tree. Tight little mother...”
Of course everyone always asks “you gonna throw a small block in it?” “You gonna do an LS swap?” Blah blah blah.
The answer is no. This is just gonna be a cruiser. The six runs like a top and I love the agricultural sound of it. Really suits the truck well. Everyone knows what a small block sounds like, but how often do you get to hear one of these anymore?
And of course, three on the tree is about as OG as it gets.
If I did anything, I’d either get a 250 without the integrated intake manifold or a 292 and play around with triple carbs and all that. Really though, the engine in the truck is the one it was born with and I kind of want to keep it that way.

View media item 7985
Damn right.

I’ll admit, when I first laid eyes on this thing in his garage it didn’t exactly knock me over with thoughts of “OMG I must have it!”
When I looked inside and saw the plaid bench seat though, I pretty much knew it was gonna be mine.

View media item 7984
I had seen this temp plate in the glovebox and just assumed it was from when the son in law took the truck over and registered it

View media item 7986
Then I was flipping through the owner’s manual one day and found this:

View media item 7987
The original 1976 temp registration that goes with the plate from when the truck was brand new. I geek out on this kind of stuff, I love having it.

So that’s basically it. Plans? First of all, go through it mechanically and make it road worthy again. The previous owner did some rust repair and he meant well, it’s just way off from my standards. I’m not going to go crazy re doing it all to full restoration quality, but I have to bring it up from where it is. You can see some of the patched in areas on the outside pic. That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Cosmetically, I’m going to add the side trims to it even though it’s not original to the truck. Just looks too plain without it for me. I’m still up in the air whether I want to do two tone or not. I’ll see how it looks with just the trim on there first.
Probably a 5/7 drop. I’m not crazy about notching the frame on this honest old rig but I’ll get over it.
Going to stick with steelies and hubcaps, but will go with something a bit wider to fill out the wells some more.
That’s about it. I bought this with the idea of having a lowered ratty truck so that’s what I plan on ending up with.
I’ll start an under construction thread here in a bit. I need to get better about taking pics of stuff as I’m working on it, we’ll see how that goes...
Thanks y’all
-Keith
Well spoken my man, awesome combo the ole straight 6 and 3 on the tree. I'd keep it that way too. Hats off to ya!!

Doc_Ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500 shortbed
Engine Size
Haha see, you guys know what’s up. Six in a row makes it go!

Thanks all for the warm welcome

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Haha see, you guys know what’s up. Six in a row makes it go!

Thanks all for the warm welcome
Ive got a very strong tie to a $100 73' c10 with a 250 straight six!!!! Ill vote 6 in a row all the time. Learned to drive in it with no PS or PB! A family of 4 in a single cab c10... ya do what ya gotta do, god love my daddy!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy! That temp tag is really cool too. I also like your plans for the truck.

You also have a classy avatar avatar picture :)

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Nothing wrong with a buzzin' half dozen. To me there is nothing that sounds better than a Chevy inline six under acceleration and when you let off to grab the next gear with a slightly whiny trans.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
(Yes I know Clint's truck would have a stovebolt in it but still is a wonderful sound)

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
And a belated welcome home Kieth.. thanks for joining.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Mine is better than both of your's put together.

Doc_Ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500 shortbed
Engine Size
Ive got a very strong tie to a $100 73' c10 with a 250 straight six!!!! Ill vote 6 in a row all the time. Learned to drive in it with no PS or PB! A family of 4 in a single cab c10... ya do what ya gotta do, god love my daddy!

Damn, bench seat FTW I guess! That’s awesome four wide, whatever works! Good on your pops, that’s cool as hell.
It’ll just be the me and the wife, but she loves being able to sit right next to me and ride around.
Yup, armstrong steering and no power brakes, simple as you can get. I’m sure some people would think I should add a booster for “safety reasons” but I drive a big rig for a living so I know all about leaving plenty of space.

Haha, it’s funny I always use the same type of avatar on all forums I go on, pic of a badge, logo, whatever, so that’s the one I snapped before I even started poking around here. Saw yours of course and thought “brilliant minds...”

Nothing wrong with a buzzin' half dozen. To me there is nothing that sounds better than a Chevy inline six under acceleration and when you let off to grab the next gear with a slightly whiny trans.
(Yes I know Clint's truck would have a stovebolt in it but still is a wonderful sound)

Oh hell yeah, the whiny trans definitely sounds the business! Just old workhorse, I love that. Love that they didn’t dub in some other engine sound on Clint’s rig either, sounds legit.

Thanks again for the welcome y’all. Already learned a ton in the short time I’ve been on here, really glad to have it as a resource. Hopefully I’ll be able to provide some useful content of my own as time goes on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey