Before you string me up ..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
I bought the truck this way years ago. It hasn't killed me yet. I would like to get rid of the 3"of blocks in the front. Is it safe to say 3" lift leaf springs would provide the same lift so everything would still line up as it is now? Is Skyjacker or other better for a more comfortable ride?

Attachments

• IMG_20220420_105557230.jpg
    IMG_20220420_105557230.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 101

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
3" lift springs will yield a little higher lift than your lift blocks because those are factory looking lift springs with blocks under them, so they have some age, wear, and sag on them.

Brand new leaf springs will have a little more pep in their step and have probably a 1/2" more "lift" than you have now.

Rough country is usually my goto, they have soft ride springs. But everyone's got their preference :)

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@Ron Sebastian can you take a pic of the truck so we can see about how much lift you actually have? I see three leaf springs, the original on a 1987 V10 was actually just two. That means you probably have a little more than just the block, although I agree with @Vbb199 those springs still have some negative arch so they are old and sagging.

I recently installed a set of Skyjacker 2.5 inch SoftRide springs on the front of my '87 V10. They were actually over 3 inches of lift because the spring stack is much thicker than the original 2 leaf setup. I can say that they ride a lot smoother than the OE springs and also much better than the add a leaf lift setup that was already on it. I cannot say how they compare to any other brand.

My truck has 2inch blocks in the rear but on the original rear springs. It's sitting on 33x12.50s.

I have a few pics that may help you:

You must be registered for see images attach

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
The pic shows the front higher but it is really fairly level. I'm sure the rear springs are not stock either.

Attachments

• IMG_20220420_110332218.jpg
    IMG_20220420_110332218.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220216_133800869_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220216_133800869_HDR.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 76

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Man's sending lowkey messages in a question, I love it

Side note, people sometimes forget that on usually the front fender well on a squarebody is deeper/taller on the front than the rear, so because people out of instinct measure "level" of a truck based on the bottom body lines, or wheel to wheel well spacing, they mistake it for "unlevel" even though it really is level

I'm not sure in this instance if the PO did a rear leaf swap or not.
*usually* the 2" lift is like, lift blocks for the back and a different spring up front.

4" lifts being 2" taller leaf springs + 2" lift blocks, and for the front, replacement springs.....

What I'm getting at is, I haven't seen anyone that sells lift kits with front lift blocks...... so I'm inclined to think, if the PO did lift blocks up front, it's a 99.9% chance they did lift blocks on the back also, meaning.... maybe you do have stock leafs out back.

How many individual leafs are there ?

Last edited:

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
From all I have read the 2.5 Skyjacker leafs will probably work the best for keeping the truck stance about the same and provide a good ride. I'll let you know.

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
@Ron Sebastian can you take a pic of the truck so we can see about how much lift you actually have? I see three leaf springs, the original on a 1987 V10 was actually just two. That means you probably have a little more than just the block, although I agree with @Vbb199 those springs still have some negative arch so they are old and sagging.

I recently installed a set of Skyjacker 2.5 inch SoftRide springs on the front of my '87 V10. They were actually over 3 inches of lift because the spring stack is much thicker than the original 2 leaf setup. I can say that they ride a lot smoother than the OE springs and also much better than the add a leaf lift setup that was already on it. I cannot say how they compare to any other brand.

My truck has 2inch blocks in the rear but on the original rear springs. It's sitting on 33x12.50s.

I have a few pics that may help you:

I can't make out the part number from your pic. Skyjacker site only shows those springs for CJs.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I can't make out the part number from your pic. Skyjacker site only shows those springs for CJs.
If you decide to go with the SkyJacker your best bet is to call their Technical Support line. They will tell you exactly what part #s you need. You will have trouble finding what you need on their website.

You will want their U-Bolt kit, and FYI you will need their bushing kit also. The SkyJacker springs use a different bushing size than the OE springs, you have to use their bushings.

I used SkyJacker because they were based relatively close to my home and they seemed to check all my boxes. I am sure there are other companies that might have done just as well. Tuff Country offers an EZ-Ride spring setup that is supposed to ride really well. Everything I read about Rough Country indicated that they were appropriately named, I didn't see any soft-ride/easy ride options from them.

Edit: When I get home I will see if I have the paperwork for the part numbers.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lift blocks on a front axle is never a good thing.

Obviously, the taller block the more the law of physics multiples. Example: the brakes are on the axle level, the mass that the brakes have to stop is exponentially higher the taller the block. The only item holding that mass are 4 u-bolts.

Now, think of that stubborn bolt/nut you can't break free with your ratchet. So you grab a breaker bar and it still won't break loose. So you grab a pipe to slide over the breaker bar handle. Then either one of 3 things happen; the bolt/nut breaks loose, the socket splits, or the breaker bar attachment breaks off.

Now do you really want to drive a vehicle with lift blocks knowing you have the possibility of hurting yourself, loved ones, or someone else.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I've seen the blocks come out and it's not a pretty sight. It happened on a friend's CUCV and it destroyed the bedsides, driveshaft, shocks, parking brake cables, the brake hose and the exhaust. It would have been considerably worse if this had happened on the front end of the vehicle.

Strickland

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've seen the blocks come out and it's not a pretty sight. It happened on a friend's CUCV and it destroyed the bedsides, driveshaft, shocks, parking brake cables, the brake hose and the exhaust. It would have been considerably worse if this had happened on the front end of the vehicle.

Strickland
Of all the downsides of lift blocks, in the rear, that situation is a result of something improperly installed or improperly torqued. Millions of rear lift blocks that don’t fail or fall out.
However a good warning nonetheless.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Ron Sebastian , what is in the rear right now?
Front looks like 3-4” of total lift from stock but pics are deceiving.
If it’s 3 in front, then being level, the rear would have maybe 1” or 2” of lift?

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
@Ron Sebastian , what is in the rear right now?
Front looks like 3-4” of total lift from stock but pics are deceiving.
If it’s 3 in front, then being level, the rear would have maybe 1” or 2” of lift?
Grit, not sure of lift in back. I don't know what stock height is. Getting ready to put 4 degree pinion shims in rear, so that might add another half inch. I don't think Skyjacker makes a 2" softride leaf. I'll have to wait to get measurements.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Well Grit, he was actually hooked to two other trucks at the time; pavement gives maximum grip when doing "crazy redneck stuff" like pulling against one another...or two if you have a big ego. He had a big ego and a heavy right foot.
I don't have a phobia about using lift blocks in the rear but I definitely advise not to use them in the front. My K5 has some 4" blocks in the rear of it now and it has been beat and hammered on pretty hard. I'll check the ubolts about once a year and look to make certain that the king pin is still set and the block is not walking or turning sideways on the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK