bed side panel removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello all. Searched the forums for this and all I found was how to remove the front bed panel. I'm trying to remove the driver side bed skin. I have all the spot welds drilled out and most of the panel loose but there is something holding it at the tail light pocket assembly. I don't see any more spot welds and so can't tell whats holding it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you have a bed side skin? Most of the time they are full bolt on sides. I've never taken one with with spot welds, I unbolted them down the front bed panel, along the floor in front and behind the wheel well, all up inside the well where the bedside meets the actual inner tub, and the 2 on the back and 2 on the front bolts under the rear stake pocket in back, followed by 2 spot welds or tacks maybe more where the stake pocket meets the floor and down in the area where the side meets the tailpan, usually easy to spot.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I skinned this one when I made it into a wall hanger, I drilled the spot welds in front of the rear stake pocket and the inside came out, the rear stake pocket/area where tailgate hardware mounts is separate of the inner skin and is folded and spot welded I think.
You must be registered for see images attach

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I have all the spot welds drilled out that I can find. It appears to be hanging up in the area of the tail light housing but I don't see any spot welds there. I'll keep at it and hopefully I'll get it off.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got it off fellas. As I was unceremoniously banging things with hammer and chisel (in the wrong spot) the rest of the spot welds manifested themselves so I drilled them out and off she came. Thanks for all in-put.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have pics just haven't loaded them yet.

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here are the promised pics of said bedside skin. There were spot welds about every 2" along the inside bedrail, a dozen or so along the front of the bed and several along the back by the tail light. Those were the ones holding me up as they were on the outside of the bed where they were painted over so well I couldn't tell they were there. First pic is of the outside of the inside bed side.

matkes77

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
so I don't have pics, but my bed is a cheese grater....rusty holes everywhere. Is it feasible to just replace the bed floor if sides aren't too bad or is it just better finding a donor SWB bed?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you can swap bed floors if you can find one. They repop them now if you got the cash

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I gotta ask why skin a bed side and not just unbolt and bolt on another? Or really why are you removing the skin? I assumed rust or dents or replacement

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, to answer that question. I'm working from a low ball budget. I could have bought new bed sides from LMC but they wanted $350.00 each and I only paid 1500.00 for the whole truck. Can't see paying half the total cost for just 2 bedsides. So I cut out the section over the wheel arch and welded in a patch panel. There was a dent close to the front of the bed that I couldn't access with skin on so I removed it to pop that dent out and fix the crease in the body line. Not going for full resto or show quality. just want it to look good on a budget.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
understood, alot of work for a dent. I would have got the $100 HF stud welder dent puller

Wilburn Martin

Reaction score
First Name
Wilburn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 3+3
Engine Size
I have the same thing happening with one of my trucks. PO beat the sides on anything that came by apparently. I bought it and a parts truck for $1,500. I'm taking the bed sides off and swapping them currently

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara