Bed cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
350 / 290
Does anyone known who makes a hard 1 piece bed cover that will fit a 85 GMC or C10 short bed either inner or outer . None of the venders I have checked don't make them anymore .

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Haven't run across a single hardshell made to fit these anymore, only soft roll up or tri-fold ones. I shopped for quite a while before I settled on mine and never saw a hard shell, you'll probably have to scout facebook/craigslist/the side of the road/swap meets for one of those old school ones or build your own

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I've been searching for a while with no luck. I'm really surprised too.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size

Donald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
350 / 290
Thanks I will give them a call .

mike83

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado v10
Engine Size
TotalyHucked when you found the trifold cover did you happen to see one for an 87 short bed?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
All square short beds are same dimension.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Those would work but I'd be more interested in one like the backflip style that are flush mount. I know I'm being picky but...why not.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I used to have a CheckmateFX. It was super inexpensive and now that they're defunct there's a whole subculture of people scavenging for parts.

I have fantasies of reproducing something like it. The demand seems there and design was Dead simple, but easily improved upon.
You must be registered for see images attach

I just settled and ordered a Tonnopro tri-fold because, well, there's not a lot of options... It's odd they only list them as fitting '74-'83 C1500's though. However, knowing all short wides of the era are the same, I feel fine about it.

vr1967

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Virgil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
6.2L turbo
The one I had on my 81 was a Check R Products hard cover very similar to the one Soundmound shows above.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I used to have a CheckmateFX. It was super inexpensive and now that they're defunct there's a whole subculture of people scavenging for parts.

I have fantasies of reproducing something like it. The demand seems there and design was Dead simple, but easily improved upon.

I just settled and ordered a Tonnopro tri-fold because, well, there's not a lot of options... It's odd they only list them as fitting '74-'83 C1500's though. However, knowing all short wides of the era are the same, I feel fine about it.
Curious to hear how you like it.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Holy hell! My mind is bottled right now... I just experienced first hand the madness that is automotive customer service currently. Ordered the Tonno Pro 42-110 and was just curious what they'd say about fitment. The website says 74-83 C10 GMC only, we all know 73-87 short wide's to be the same save for the fuel doors or am I wrong? The 4 agents I spoke with all relied on the computer to tell them fitment and then read scripts. No free thought happening whatsoever, no knowledge of anything related to their job beyond using the terminal to hand you a canned answer. We are in serious trouble as an enthusiast community.
@TotalyHucked do you know if the bed changed significantly in '84 that might cause this cover not to fit?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Holy hell! My mind is bottled right now... I just experienced first hand the madness that is automotive customer service currently. Ordered the Tonno Pro 42-110 and was just curious what they'd say about fitment. The website says 74-83 C10 GMC only, we all know 73-87 short wide's to be the same save for the fuel doors or am I wrong? The 4 agents I spoke with all relied on the computer to tell them fitment and then read scripts. No free thought happening whatsoever, no knowledge of anything related to their job beyond using the terminal to hand you a canned answer. We are in serious trouble as an enthusiast community.
@TotalyHucked do you know if the bed changed significantly in '84 that might cause this cover not to fit?
Yeah, outside of a select few small companies that have people who actually care, actual customer service is a thing of the past. Nothing changed in the beds other than the way the tailgates latched/joined up to the bedsides and the fuel holes/doors. That's the exact tonneau I have on my truck, it fits perfect and has been a fantastic addition to the truck. 3 years later and it still looks new other than the logo patch is a little weathered

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Cool. I clicked your Amazon link and it took me to a Truxedo soft roll up cover. Glad to have you confirm it will fit fine and that the quality is good. It will live indoors so I anticipate it will last quite a while.

Man, one lady got real obstinate with me when I said GMC and Chevy are the same truck..., "Sir, we have engineers so, I'm not going to argue with you, that's not what I do O.K." pretty sure she was in a fulfillment warehouse and not Tonno Pro though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406