Bed Carriage bolt holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Is there such a thing as an insert to weld in place of wollered out bed bolt holes? I've got at least 4 that need fixed. Not that it's a pain to put them on, but it's a bitch to get them off cuz the bolts start spinning.

Would like to fix it once and for all.

Thanks In advance

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
those look nice, but I mean the square holes that are in the bed itself. I might be a dunce and the holes in the frame are square also lol and rounded holes in the bed floor arent an issue.

Thanks

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I found my patches at the local hardware store. They were for lag bolts into a wood deck. About the size of a silver dollar with the correct size square hole in it. I had to smash flat the small spikes that were bent for holding into wood - but they worked perfectly.

I'll get a pic of them if you need.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I believe there is a product for this purpose, since I’ve seen them used in a few junkyard trucks.

The washers are larger than the bolt hole and square shaped, like big oval washers with a square cutout in the middle. They look like they might be designed to be tack welded in place, since there is nothing on them to bite into the bed surface and stop from turning. However, the oval shape makes them narrow enough to snug down into the rib inset in the bed floor, and the raised rib keeps them from turning.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I guess I should have said carriage bolts. lol

This is what they look like. Several sizes - didn't think they'd have any big enough, but they did. Just take a bolt with you to size it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I guess I should have said carriage bolts. lol

This is what they look like. Several sizes - didn't think they'd have any big enough, but they did. Just take a bolt with you to size it.

Thanks Dopple and all. I may wait until I take the bed off and weld in underneath.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow, those are neat. I'll have to remember them. What I've started shortly after joining this forum was a manila file folder marked the name of the forum. On the inside I keep all these kinds of fixes, shortcuts, parts that make life easy for a Square, etc.. I just copy the particular page with whatever it is. That way if I need something the first place I go is the folder to see if whatever I need is in there.

Allan Abley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
That is what I have used in the past. the only issue is that the ones I found at local hardware store were galvanized. just be careful when welding them as the galvanized give off gas.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
That is what I have used in the past. the only issue is that the ones I found at local hardware store were galvanized. just be careful when welding them as the galvanized give off gas.
easy fix, just hit them on a wire wheel before you weld it. The galvanization is only a thin layer on the surface, comes off very easily (especially on something so small like this would take only a couple seconds), the metal underneath is just regular steel and totally safe to weld.

And realistically if I'm just doing a couple tack welds on something galvanized I hold my breath for a few seconds until I can walk away

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
In general, these are sold as “square ID hole washers,” or “carriage bolt washer plates,” or “square neck bolt washers,” so there are quite a few sources. However, many are from sources with mail order only and you might have to buy a box.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got mine at a local Do It Best hardware store. There's several sizes - the biggest one they carry is perfect. $1 - 1.50 ea.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

A professional welder once told me, when ever he needed to weld some galvanized metal, he first drank a pint of milk and never had a problem with the gas.

Don't know if that is the norm.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350