back up lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87 chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a 87 that was a automatic and put in a 83 4 speed. i am trying to figure out ho to hook up the back up lights to the switch on the 4 speed trans. Can anyone help?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Find the blue and green wires that used to go to the column mounted backup switch. Extend them to the switch on your 4 speed manual.

Schematic:

You must be registered for see images attach

87 chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks, this is what i was looking for.

Psycho_Outlaw

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i know this post is old..... BUT

Find the blue and green wires that used to go to the column mounted backup switch. Extend them to the switch on your 4 speed manual.

Schematic:

You must be registered for see images attach

I am looking at this schematic and I am trying to figure out where these two wires originate from on my 1973 k10 manual. I have a wire labeled backup switch coming from the new fuse panel. i now know this wire goes to this switch but which pin. my real question though is where does the second wire go?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Disregard that wiring diagram - it is for an 87 model and things had changed between that year and when your truck was built (1973).

I am assuming you stripped the complete OEM wiring harness from the truck and purchased an aftermarket wiring harness. The majority of the new wiring is in place and connected.

Also, I read that you have located the hot lead that is provided for the back-up lights - where it exits the fuse block. You need to run that hot lead to the switch (the one that closes and provides power to the back-up lights when backing the truck).

Problem is, you don't know where that switch is mounted or how to wire the feed from switch to the actual lamps in the rear lighting assemblies.

You note that the transmission is a manual type, so there is no combined neutral safety back-up switch as would be found in an automatic. The reverse lighting switch will be a stand alone type and depending on the transmission type (3 speed or 4 speed) it could be located in either of two places.

If it is a 3 speed with the shifter on the column, it will be inside the cab - and mounted someplace where the gear shifter linkage can operate it.

If it is a 4 speed transmission with a floor mounted shifter, the switch will be mounted on the transmission's casing.

Once you find the switch, just splice an extension onto the lead that comes out of the after market fuse block and connect it to the switch. It doesn't matter which terminal you use.

Connecting the fused hot lead to the switch should be easy, if the switch is inside the cab.

If the switch is mounted through the transmission casing, it will take more effort to run the wiring to it. But, electrically, the procedure is the same as with a inside cab switch. You'll get it.

After that, you just need to get the power from that unused terminal wired to the lamps in the back of the truck.

The wires for the back-up light circuit are in the rear lighting harness along with the brake/directional lights, tail lights and rear side markers/plate lights.

The back-up wiring is light green.

You need to find that light green wire and connect it to the switch. That's it, basically the entire circuit consists of 2 wires. One from the fuse to the switch and one from the switch to the lamps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1