Back on the keep the visor bandwagon....Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So killing time here, thinking....
I Believe the holes in the roof of the 86 for the visor mount are what caused the rust around the windshield frame. No other explanation on an otherwise 100% rust free truck.
Given I’ve procrastinated fixing the windshield frame and roof holes to basically the last big task before paint, got me thinking. Me and the kid both really like the look of the visor but I wrote it off because it caused the only rust on the truck and it can’t happen again because I’m not cutting the whole windshield frame out. So my repairs are gonna be a little less than 100% good as new. I’m goin to cut out the worst spots and patch and rustproof inside the A pillars and roof line though.
For plugging the existing holes I was going to just put in little bolts or all thread and weld around then zip them off flush so I don’t have to booger fill the holes up on the roof like I did on the other 50+ holes on the rest of the truck.
This brought on the bright idea, why not do what I said above but leave a short stud welded to the roof to bolt the visor back on. Holes welded shut and visor re installed with no holes in the roof.
Why wouldn’t this work just fine?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Sounds like a great idea. Can't have leaks if there aren't any holes... sounds like the best of both worlds

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Plus it’s less bodywork to do on the roof and A pillars because the visor being screwed in there obviously tweaked the sheet metal.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Reviving this. I LOVE my visor. It's a newer style from Lund and has led lights recessed into it. Much cleaner than roof mounted cab lights.

I actually installed aluminum nutserts and use machine screws and nylon washers to attach the visor. Easy peasy and no worry for rust. I figured this out because you have to remove the visor if you ever need to remove/replace the windshield.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@SquareRoot
That is a GREAT idea. Idk why I didn’t think of it. Lol
I was just contemplating buying a chunk of all thread to make up the studs to weld in.
I’m not ultimately super concerned about leaks like I was before. Now after doing some of the windshield frame repairs, I’m pretty certain the rust was not from the visor holes leaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey